My 71 J code 429 SCJ 4 speed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow, with a build date at the end of July you have to wonder if this was the last 429 Mach 1 built or at least pretty close to the last one. Wonder if Kevin Marti could answer that question for you.

A fleet order? Who orders "J" codes as fleet orders with 4:11's and a Detroit Locker? I want to rent from that agency!

Really nice how your car is almost dead on (spoiler addition) to the Marti as it left the factory. Not many of these can claim that level of originality anymore. And as Mike mentioned - that build date is extremely late. If it isn't the last 429 made, it's probably very close.

You might want to see if Kevin will do a special check on the VIN. Might be worth the cost.

-Kurt

P.S.: You may want to adjust that left hood lock. It's bending the sheet metal on the hood. Not a good thing to do over a long period of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
A fleet order? Who orders "J" codes as fleet orders with 4:11's and a Detroit Locker? I want to rent from that agency!

-Kurt
Definitely could have been a rental company (Hertz was tight with Ford back then and Ford actually owned Hertz for a while.)

You know that "Fleet" just means the company that ordered orders more than 5 cars during a pre-determined time range; probably a year.

My dad and my uncles ordered Fleet all the time as they had about 30 vehicles at all times in their company's inventory. Sure wish they had ordered a few Mustangs but they were mostly trucks, pickups, LTDs and Galaxie 500's.

Anyway - super nice 429 car!!!!!!

Ray

I think I may write to Ford to see if there is any way than can determine if it was one of the very last SCJs built.
Don't bother with Ford. Go straight to Kevin Marti and ask him how much it would cost to run a special check of the database for the last 429SCJ's made.

You will have to wait a while. Kevin is swamped with tons of requests like these in addition to the reports themselves.

-Kurt

I think I may write to Ford to see if there is any way than can determine if it was one of the very last SCJs built.
Don't bother with Ford. Go straight to Kevin Marti and ask him how much it would cost to run a special check of the database for the last 429SCJ's made.

You will have to wait a while. Kevin is swamped with tons of requests like these in addition to the reports themselves.

-Kurt
It will be worth the wait though. Especially if it turns out to be the last 429 Mach 1 built with that engine. I would think that would add value and would be cool to have the last of an awesome muscle car.

I really hope you check into this. I also agree that Ford would give you little help on this. Mr. Marti is the way to go on this. I am betting they did not build any 71 Mustangs in August. I hope you find out your car was the last one.

Please keep us posted on your special car!

Yep, my j code was a hertz car as well, at least that's what my original invoice.
That's great, if I come visit you some day I want to rent your car for the day! Are you up for that? Ha.

Wow! A real J Code 429 SCJ! I'm impressed! Look's Great! Thumb UP! :p

Joel, that car looks more awesome every time I look at it. I can only imagine how great it is to drive with the new 5-speed!

You gotta' post some GoPro action videos!

Joel, that car looks more awesome every time I look at it. I can only imagine how great it is to drive with the new 5-speed!

You gotta' post some GoPro action videos!
Tomorrow it is going back in the shop for a complete suspension refresh. I will get some videos when it gets back and we have a pretty day.

That wil rock! That was one thing it sure needed...a suspension refresh. If you have not already done so, I recommend getting your springs from "Eaton/ Detroit Spring". Great quality, great prices.

Get some upgraded sway bars, and a much faster steering box and you will think the car feels half as bulky as before. These cars are a blast when they handle well...

Last edited:
Back