Real Boss 351 on E-bay

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was I imagining this or was there some talk of all the front spoilers being black and not argent? This looks pretty original to me.

I love our cars in black. Hope you get this one Kit. This car deserves to be brought back to original condition.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was I imagining this or was there some talk of all the front spoilers being black and not argent? This looks pretty original to me.

I love our cars in black. Hope you get this one Kit. This car deserves to be brought back to original condition.
Yes black 71-3's are nice - but especially if they are original paint!!!!

:)

The front spoilers were only available in black. I ordered a new one across the Ford parts counter back in 76 - only available in black from Ford. The one you see on that Boss has been painted.

Ray

That's what I love about this forum. Where others (like me) look at a car like that and think that it cannot be resurrected you guys see the potential. Hopefully, someone will rebuild it.

That's what I love about this forum. Where others (like me) look at a car like that and think that it cannot be resurrected you guys see the potential. Hopefully, someone will rebuild it.
I haven't seen all the pics yet, but I'm pretty sure it's restorable. ;) :D

I haven't seen all the pics yet, but I'm pretty sure it's restorable. ;) :D
Good. I'll ship it down to you (along with the trunk full of cash) and give you a nice project to work on! :)

I cant help wondering though..if it needs new floors, trunk, hood etc. and that much of the car is replaced will it ever retain a decent value?

I'd rather pay 14K and put another 25 -30K into that car than 25-30K into a free non Boss in the same condition. Prior to becoming a member of this forum I would have said no way is anyone going to restore that, but I've since seen members start of with cars in worse condition and pull it off. Hope someone from the forum buys it so we can all watch it come back to life.

I'd rather pay 14K and put another 25 -30K into that car than 25-30K into a free non Boss in the same condition. Prior to becoming a member of this forum I would have said no way is anyone going to restore that, but I've since seen members start of with cars in worse condition and pull it off. Hope someone from the forum buys it so we can all watch it come back to life.
+1

Ray

That's about the numbers I would think it would take to bring it back.

If I had the skills to do it myself I would take it on.

With the exception of the lower door skins being rotted out, it's not all that different from mine when I got it - for only $1600 (which was still probably too much). Nope - looking at it again I dare say, "just as bad" as mine. I'm guessing it doesn't run. ;)

Reality: you're looking at $40K in parts alone to get this one back together - piled on with all the labor just to get it back in shape. I know this for a fact because that's what I have [in parts & paint alone] in my lowly H-code. After fuzzy math factoring my non-professional labor costs (what I would've had to pay me, not being a professional restorer - $50/hour for almost 2200 hours), and I'm looking at $120K "saved" in labor - God only knows how much that would've been had I hired a professional at average professional labor rates ($75/hour and up). Let's say I hired Scott - his labor rates and results would be well worth the investment, and he wouldn't have taken nearly as long, but I'm guessing he'd still be banking something just shy of $100K for working his magic.

By virtue of it being a Boss 351, that number will likely go up as I used many repop parts for mine - to retain Boss 351 value, a guy would need OEM NOS parts to do it right (repop fenders simply won't do for something like this) which will cost a lot more... like 5x times more per piece (NOS full quarters are over $1000 each [if you can find 'em], whereas repop quarter skin replacements are only a couple hundred).

Now we're into the personal preference of spending $15K for a rusty pile vs. $1500 just because it says "Boss 351" rather than "Mach 1 351C-2V." My opinion - not worth it... it's too much for a non-running, rust bucket just because of VIN and sticker pedigree. When you get down to it, that's a $150K restoration that will only bring $60-70K at auction... IF it ever goes to auction - it's just a $150K hole in someone's bank account until it does sell after all. Not to mention that a guy would be afraid to enjoy it because of the perceived collectible 'value' as an auction queen.

No thanks - I'll take my "low-buck" H-code restomod any day - I didn't [re]build mine just to sell it someday, after all. That Boss 351 is no more "valuable" than my H-code Mach 1... until it goes across the auction block, after all.

That being said, I believe it's still very restorable.

With the exception of the lower door skins being rotted out, it's not all that different from mine when I got it - for only $1600 (which was still probably too much). Nope - looking at it again I dare say, "just as bad" as mine. I'm guessing it doesn't run. ;)

Reality: you're looking at $40K in parts alone to get this one back together - piled on with all the labor just to get it back in shape. I know this for a fact because that's what I have [in parts & paint alone] in my lowly H-code. After fuzzy math factoring my non-professional labor costs (what I would've had to pay me, not being a professional restorer - $50/hour for almost 2200 hours), and I'm looking at $120K "saved" in labor - God only knows how much that would've been had I hired a professional at average professional labor rates ($75/hour and up). Let's say I hired Scott - his labor rates and results would be well worth the investment, and he wouldn't have taken nearly as long, but I'm guessing he'd still be banking something just shy of $100K for working his magic.

By virtue of it being a Boss 351, that number will likely go up as I used many repop parts for mine - to retain Boss 351 value, a guy would need OEM NOS parts to do it right (repop fenders simply won't do for something like this) which will cost a lot more... like 5x times more per piece (NOS full quarters are over $1000 each [if you can find 'em], whereas repop quarter skin replacements are only a couple hundred).

Now we're into the personal preference of spending $15K for a rusty pile vs. $1500 just because it says "Boss 351" rather than "Mach 1 351C-2V." My opinion - not worth it... it's too much for a non-running, rust bucket just because of VIN and sticker pedigree. When you get down to it, that's a $150K restoration that will only bring $60-70K at auction... IF it ever goes to auction - it's just a $150K hole in someone's bank account until it does sell after all. Not to mention that a guy would be afraid to enjoy it because of the perceived collectible 'value' as an auction queen.

No thanks - I'll take my "low-buck" H-code restomod any day - I didn't [re]build mine just to sell it someday, after all. That Boss 351 is no more "valuable" than my H-code Mach 1... until it goes across the auction block, after all.

That being said, I believe it's still very restorable.
Your second to last line says it all!

One day I might "step up" to a more "valuable" car. For now, I have a lot to learn and spending high end money without that knowledge seemed wasteful and potentially quite foolish. I'll spend a few years with my car (who knows - maybe more) and then see if I want to go another direction.

Restoring a car in that bad of shape is a losing prospect, no matter how much the car could potentially bring at auction. Whomever buys that car will only be that much further in the hole because of speculation, stickers, and VIN.

The seller is asking too much - plain and simple. The market condition/value guidelines for classic cars don't cover cars in this condition. The lowest level of value category (Poor Condition) still assumes the car will run and not require 70% of its sheet metal replaced. $15K is pretty much the ceiling price of the lowest condition/value category... and this car is closer to the "basement," condition-wise. I'd be a buyer at $5K... but only because it's a Boss 351... and I wouldn't be restoring as an investment, since I'm not going through all the hassle, labor, and expense just to give it to someone else at a financial loss. I'd be restoring it for me.. and you can believe it would have some old school restomoddin' done to it as well. ;)

Again, still very restorable... just not economically or financially smart. I also don't recall ever saying I was particularly "smart," either. ;) :D

Restoring a car in that bad of shape is a losing prospect, no matter how much the car could potentially bring at auction. Whomever buys that car will only be that much further in the hole because of speculation, stickers, and VIN.

The seller is asking too much - plain and simple. The market condition/value guidelines for classic cars don't cover cars in this condition. The lowest level of value category (Poor Condition) still assumes the car will run and not require 70% of its sheet metal replaced. $15K is pretty much the ceiling price of the lowest condition/value category... and this car is closer to the "basement," condition-wise. I'd be a buyer at $5K... but only because it's a Boss 351... and I wouldn't be restoring as an investment, since I'm not going through all the hassle, labor, and expense just to give it to someone else at a financial loss. I'd be restoring it for me.. and you can believe it would have some old school restomoddin' done to it as well. ;)

Again, still very restorable... just not economically or financially smart. I also don't recall ever saying I was particularly "smart," either. ;) :D
I was thinking about 5K would be the most someone would want to pay and still, it's not financially smart. :)

Back