Mustang Registration Fees

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi To All,

I was thinking the other day about my Mustang car registration costs. In Australia, we get ripped off by our Government, by getting charged what i would call expensive charges. However ...............

I got to wondering what folks in other countries are getting billed for their Mustang registrations as well. That would be interesting to know. Country currency exchange rates play a part as well.

Here's my breakdown -

My Government charges different fees based on the number of cylinders your car has. 8 cylinders being the highest cost of course. So for me, to register my one Mustang for one year is $1006.00 Australian and $768.00 American based on the current exchange rate between our countries. (That total fee takes in third party insurance cover which is compulsory for all drivers to have on board.)

To me, that's a lot of money to pay out each year, but then again, what are you people paying per year for yours?:huh: Do you feel you are paying too much as well?

Greg.:(

It's different in each state. When I lived in Illinois it was a flat fee for any auto. I thinks it's $101/yr now up there. Chicago had it own fees that were about the same as the state fees. When I lived in California it was about two percent of what you paid for the vehicle plus about another $35. It did go down each year you owned the car. After about 25 years (if you still owned it) it was aroung $35 total IIRC. Here in Arkansas plates are about $25/yr but there is property tax on the vehicle each year. It's still a lot cheaper than CA though.

Last edited by a moderator:
But Mr. Vert...your $1000+ includes insurance. Most insurance around here runs anywhere from $500-$1000/year if you have a good driving record.

Hi To All,

I was thinking the other day about my Mustang car registration costs. In Australia, we get ripped off by our Government, by getting charged what i would call expensive charges. However ...............

I got to wondering what folks in other countries are getting billed for their Mustang registrations as well. That would be interesting to know. Country currency exchange rates play a part as well.

Here's my breakdown -

My Government charges different fees based on the number of cylinders your car has. 8 cylinders being the highest cost of course. So for me, to register my one Mustang for one year is $1006.00 Australian and $768.00 American based on the current exchange rate between our countries. (That total fee takes in third party insurance cover which is compulsory for all drivers to have on board.)

To me, that's a lot of money to pay out each year, but then again, what are you people paying per year for yours?:huh: Do you feel you are paying too much as well?

Greg.:(
Hello Vert,

Can't speak for other states as each has their own set of rules, but I can give input on Ohio. In Ohio, once a car reaches 25 years of age (any car) you can apply for "Historical" plates. I believe costs are a one time cost of $26. I've had mine for over 15 years now so not totally sure of cost. The beauty of this is this plate never expires, no added cost year after year. It does restrict you to I believe around 2,000 miles a year and you can not use your car as an every day driver. Most owners of this type of car park them in the winter anyway and drive only in good weather so mileage is usually not a big issue. One other item to note is that once your car has historical plates, it exempts you (so far) from meeting any current emission inspections.

Mac

101 bucks if only it was the same here. Greg if you relocate to the USA expect to become my new best friend and frequent mailer of stuff :) Think of them as care packages for petrolheads ;) in return I will occasionally mail you real beer and bad rum:p

I live in PA and I got my car registered as an Antique. I believe the plates were around $75 one time cost. The tags/plates never expire. My collector car insurance runs about $250/year for $30,000 coverage. The value is agreed upon and can be changed if needed in the future. Also has a 3,000 mile per year limit but it does roll over and accumulate.

Greg,

If registration looks good here (even adding insurance costs) you'll love the gas prices we all complain about.

BTW, I added a '69 Corvette to my "collector car" insurance this week. $175/year with an agreed value of 28K. I can't drive it to work or use it to run errands but other than that, miles of smiles.

I live in Idaho and just got my registration card. Mine are $32.50 for one year or $60.00 for two. I have my insurance through Hagerty and it's $487.00 a year for three cars (stated value about $80K total) and that includes roadside assistance/towing, full coverage with no deductible. That would work out to about $195.00 a year, per car.

Steve

Greg, after seeing what you pay I won't complain about my rego costs again. This is what I paid for my stang a few months ago down here in Victoria:

MQVaI8Y.jpg

While I consider the $270 rego fee pretty high, it's not a killer.

The $343 TAC charge covers the personal injury side of things in the event that myself or someone else is injured by my actions. I'm reasonably happy with this price considering it's there to cover the costs of injury to myself or others in the unfortunate event of a vehicular mishap. Worth noting that being a country resident I pay less for this insurance than someone who would live in a metropolitan environment.

The $34 insurance duty? Well that's just a bit of a trick to raise more revenue. With 4.5 million cars registered in Victoria this barely perceptible sneaky little charge nets VicRoads a cool $153 million dollars a year !

edit: I could pay only $140 total per year for Victorian "club rego", but that would limit me to only 90 days driving per year, a log book, a set of red club license plates which I don't really like the look of, and I'm also a bit of an unsociable bugger who couldn't be bothered becoming a compulsory club member (present 7173 company excluded of course :p )

new york

over 25 years old is $ 125.50 every 2 years and inspection every year is 10$

new york new car is $ 198 every 2 years and inspection every year is i think 40$ now.

10 years ago, the fees were 25$ for an old car and 10 inspection.

and about 40$ for a newer car and 25$ inspection.

every year now they are jacking the taxes to make you walk to the FEMA re-education camps.

it is much cheaper to own an older car in NY.

also,,, the cops don't really look at the decals on older cars and for many years i forgot to get the new stickers, opps.

I think standard registration in Texas is something around $65/year. Full Coverage Insurance is somewhere around $650/year (but that's also unlimited mileage and coverage based on standard car 'depreciation' values - not classic or antique values that are more "what's it really worth"-oriented).

I'll be checking with my insurance agent to see if I can get some kind of 'different' insurance for both my Jeep and the Mustang (when it's time) - full coverage will not replace either of them in the event of something bad happening. I don't want to be limited in coverage or mileage, because if I take it on a road trip to visit the in-laws (and some 7173 friends along the way), that would more than kill the annual mileage allotment most classic car insurance policies offer (which I believe is typically a couple hundred up to 1000 miles per year).

Gonna be fun finding the right policy, that's for sure.

The secretary of state will tell you there are. Like you can't drive the car to work and it can only be driving to car show or parades. I live in Farmington Hills and they don't enforce it because they don't have any idea where your going with the car. You can also register an old plate if you want to for an additional fee. I have had mine for 4 years now and have had no issues with law enforcement in my area. Here is the link that will give you all the info.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585_1595_52364---,00.html

John J

My 1985 Mustang GT is still registered in Pennsylvania at my parents address. Registration is $36 a year for a normal plate in Carbon county PA. Here in Florida it is about double that for my Mach 1 and F-100. My wifes minivan is the most as they seem to charge more fore vehicle weight.

Back