Shift Handles...one button vs two? When were each used?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi guys,

Curious as to which cars got which handles...here is a pic of my 72 Q code convertible with two button shift handle and grip is flat.

v3dh09.jpg

Here is a pic of my 73 Q code Mach 1 with one button handle and bottom/top is formed to grip.

2gxnswm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As a 73 only owner I find this interesting. Did both of the buttons work? I am looking at options for my GV overdrive switch. The foot switch is okay but a little slow. I am wondering if I could adapt the second button to work with the OD unit.

No, only the left button works. The other one is just for looks so it looks more even.

I also have the two button one on my 72.

As a 73 only owner I find this interesting. Did both of the buttons work? I am looking at options for my GV overdrive switch. The foot switch is okay but a little slow. I am wondering if I could adapt the second button to work with the OD unit.
Now that would be a really cool mod if you can make it happen! Please post your findings and progress along the way for this mod.

Sounds like it could get popular.

Ray

Back