Hi guys I just purchased a 1972 sprint fastback. I will be doing a a mild restoration on it to get it on the road (it has been in storage for 15 years) I will be asking advice on many things. I have already learned a ton from this site and I look forward to learning more. Here r a few pics of the car to start

75A9BA82-CE98-40C9-91DD-085886869618.jpg

DD13E96B-7950-41BE-ACC2-2C84265077D8.jpg

696067F0-7B23-4949-99BA-934726BD0DC7.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys I just purchased a 1972 sprint fastback. I will be doing a a mild restoration on it to get it on the road (it has been in storage for 15 years) I will be asking advice on many things. I have already learned a ton from this site and I look forward to learning more. Here r a few pics of the car to start

75A9BA82-CE98-40C9-91DD-085886869618.jpg

DD13E96B-7950-41BE-ACC2-2C84265077D8.jpg

696067F0-7B23-4949-99BA-934726BD0DC7.jpg

Looks to be in very nice condition. Only two things are obvious - you need a urethane front bumper and you'll have to decide whether to keep the non-stock rear spoiler. It's hard to undo holes drilled in your trunk lid.

Vamach1 - 72 Sprint conv & 72 Mach1

7830715_Image(52).thumb.jpg.40c32485115e1af9cb146a6b959e0654.jpg

Its also has non stock front spoiler. any pics of motor or inside? Car looks good

How did I miss that. I've seen people paint the spoilers the same grabber blue as the car. :huh:

Vamach1 - 72 Sprint conv & 72 Mach1

if you put a NASA hood on it, Don't throw out the flat hood, its not reproduced, and most likely won't be!!

they are very hard to come by in decent condition.

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

To me, the rear spoiler looks out of place with the black paint. I would paint it white or matching the blue.

It's a good looking car. Is the Mustang emblem on the truck loose? It looks like it is at a weird angle.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

I like the spoiler and the front air dam lol I may even mismatch it even more and put a nasa hood on it

I thought about putting NACA hood on mine because I think it looks better but did t know what I would do with the hood stripes.

adpic.jpg

Nice car! I have always wondered about the emblem on the rear quarter panel. Is it a sticker type thing or actually painted on?

Good luck with your restoration!

• 1 year later...

Welcome from San Diego. I say keep the spoilers just paint them white. The pic of the NASA hood you posted would work as well.

- Mike

Looks like you got a set of 73 factory aluminum wheels in the deal. I sold the only set of Sprint blue ring hub caps it had to another member last year. You can paint your own if you switch to them. Got them off a convertible I bought for parts.

Your car could have got a spoiler at factory. It would have to have a six digit DSO code and it would show up on the build sheet but not on a Marti. It would be a special order car for paint or trim and Marti did not get those records.

Do what you like on the car it is yours.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Looks like you are making great progress. Keep the updates coming.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Looks like you got a set of 73 factory aluminum wheels in the deal. I sold the only set of Sprint blue ring hub caps it had to another member last year. You can paint your own if you switch to them. Got them off a convertible I bought for parts.

Your car could have got a spoiler at factory. It would have to have a six digit DSO code and it would show up on the build sheet but not on a Marti. It would be a special order car for paint or trim and Marti did not get those records.

Do what you like on the car it is yours.

I do like the 73 aluminum rims. If I do change anything though; it would be to go to a set of Magnum 500s I think

So my next purchase was a ram air breather. I had quite the debate whether to go aftermarket or stock. I really liked the stock ones but they were far too expensive. Then I found one three hours away from me that is in excellent condition complete with the Plenum and All vacuum hoses for $500. The only drawback is that I have to rebuild both the vacuum actuators on the Plenum.

F6163178-8C0D-4483-87F8-CA0AD9373D04.jpg

So my next purchase was a ram air breather. I had quite the debate whether to go aftermarket or stock. I really liked the stock ones but they were far too expensive. Then I found one three hours away from me that is in excellent condition complete with the Plenum and All vacuum hoses for $500. The only drawback is that I have to rebuild both the vacuum actuators on the Plenum.

F6163178-8C0D-4483-87F8-CA0AD9373D04.jpg

When you referb the air cleaner remember that Ram Air lids did not have any engine sticker on them. They had "Ram Air" lettered on the outside of the hood on both sides but no decal on the air cleaner. Most people put one on from a previous model that say ram air but they are incorrect.

That was a great price for the ram air if you got the under hood plenum.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Awesome thanks for the information I thought that was the correct sticker. Shows how much I know LOL I did get the Plenum with it although one of the previous owners had painted it! :( So I am in the middle of stripping the paint off it right now

Awesome thanks for the information I thought that was the correct sticker. Shows how much I know LOL I did get the Plenum with it although one of the previous owners had painted it! :( So I am in the middle of stripping the paint off it right now

That is the sticker for late 72 and all 73 4-V. People will put a 1970 decal on that says Ram Air and the radius is not right for the larger lid on 71-73. Ford saved a few pennies by not putting a decal on the lid just identifying it had ram air on the outside of the hood.

David

OK so I got around to refinishing the air cleaner. Here is it after an exptensive sandblasting

28472316-5FC2-4459-8624-789DDAE346C1.jpg

479E8B71-7946-45B5-87D9-70D902D078B4.jpg

And I finished off the night by painting it with two-part Apoxy

A7C2C4E8-E14C-45E4-A485-AAC2D496A1CD.jpg

EBFD89CD-9E45-42B7-BE79-DA2BB5C3E442.jpg

The car is back together and in one piece. I just have a ton of finishing touches to do. I threw the old straight hood on it for now until I can get the ram air hood completely done. My plan is to match the paint for this year and next year when I have some time or maybe even this winter to do a full repaint of the car. I have yet to instal The rear valance so that when I get the stainless duals made for it in a couple weeks I will have the mach one valance on the back for the pipe to exit

F005AFBF-6F60-44B0-88A3-011C04A61DE8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sharp Car.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg