302 V8 Engine ticking

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvergrande

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Hardtop
Has anybody ever done the valve clearance check for hyd lifters? My engine was rebuilt by a reputable machine shop. I changed out all my lifters, thinking one was collapsed, # 6 intake. But nope, ticking sound still there, left cylinder head. If the machine shop milled the cylinder heads, that would make the height smaller right, in turn you would have to use non-stock length push-rod? Would I need a pushrod(s) undersized or oversized? According to the 1971 Ford Mustang Car Shop Manual, Volume One, it states on page 21-21-04 "A 0.060 inch shorter or 0.060 longer pushrod are available" Has anyone experienced this problem before?

(Engine has flat tappet, hydraulic camshaft, factory specs)

Did you check the valve clearance on #6 cyl on the compression stroke with the lifter fully collapsed? The feeler gauge width clearance should not exceed 3/8". If clearance is less install an undersize rod and oversize if clearance is more. The manual has a step by step instructions on this. BTW you can get pushrods in any length that you need and not just the .060 over/under that the manual mentions. Depending on how much the heads were milled or block surfaced will determine how much longer/shorter the pushrod needs to be. The machine shop should know how much material was removed. BTW in my experience you can't trust those shops. My motor was rebuilt with wrong main bearings and pushrod lengths and I wound up having to recheck everything myself..

Good luck

make sure it is not an exhaust leak.

the preload can be from 1/3rd turn to 1 1/2 turns . . if you have this much preload and the same lifter ticks, you may have a cam lobe going flat.

you can drain the oil and drag a magnet thru i several times and see if you get metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
In most cases, a hydraulic lifter will compensate for clearance unless the machining removed way too much material from the heads or block surfaces.. I would lean towards a defective cam lobe first, then possibly a restricted oil supply hole to that lifter..

An exhaust leak (if small) will also sound like a ticking noise with the engine running..

Please update us on your findings.

Did you check the valve clearance on #6 cyl on the compression stroke with the lifter fully collapsed? The feeler gauge width clearance should not exceed 3/8". If clearance is less install an undersize rod and oversize if clearance is more. The manual has a step by step instructions on this. BTW you can get pushrods in any length that you need and not just the .060 over/under that the manual mentions. Depending on how much the heads were milled or block surfaced will determine how much longer/shorter the pushrod needs to be. The machine shop should know how much material was removed. BTW in my experience you can't trust those shops. My motor was rebuilt with wrong main bearings and pushrod lengths and I wound up having to recheck everything myself..

Good luck

I'll check the valve clearance on the complete left cylinder head. Thanks

I'll check the valve clearance, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back