Pricey 73 mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This car has been on a while with no bids. I would say more of the car is incorrect than correct probably 80% incorrect. This company believes in the "Make it shiny and bling someone will buy it". Anyone that did a Mach 1 like this is not a collector, was not even making an attempt to do a restoration they were just using up parts they had laying around.

Burns me up to see them like this wanting prices that are 4 time what this car should sell for. It would cost more to fix what is wrong than it would to just start with a stock body.

My opinion and I am sticking with it.

David

Actually, a pretty clean car from what I can see. However, I agree that it was piece milled... when put back together, unfortunate as the car has nice options. Not worth the asking price, but if it is mechanically sound, is a nice resto-mod driver. I am trying to figure out the A/C works...

These guys are about 30 minutes from my house. They are big on resto mods and buy a lot of them and flip them for a nice profit. Most of the cars they sell are nicely done but they are not cheap, They sell a lot cars to overseas and to the Midwest. If you are looking for a certain brand of car or truck they will find you one at a price.

John J

This car has been on a while with no bids. I would say more of the car is incorrect than correct probably 80% incorrect. This company believes in the "Make it shiny and bling someone will buy it". Anyone that did a Mach 1 like this is not a collector, was not even making an attempt to do a restoration they were just using up parts they had laying around.

Burns me up to see them like this wanting prices that are 4 time what this car should sell for. It would cost more to fix what is wrong than it would to just start with a stock body.

David

Last edited by a moderator:

David

Well David, all I can say is "Here we go again", or to quote a line from a song by Herman's Hermits from our time area, "Second verse same as the first. Evidently they didn't get the memo from the 71-73 haters about 71-73 Mustang performance being on the same level as a commode or how all 71-73 Mustangs are junk that nobody wants. Prices like these should make the 65-70 people draw their shoulders up like screeching chalk on a chalk board!

At $46,900.00 I will once again say show me a Boss 351, a 71 Q, a 72R, or a production installed 429 in any 71 Mustang, and then I'll say "GAME ON"!

Went to an annual car show in Charlotte with a very experienced body man one year and looked at some vehicles there from a local car flipper much like the one offering this Mach1. He just laughed and said "You just don't have a clue what that shiny paint and chrome is hiding"! They don't make any money doing a time consuming concours restoration. He had the opportunity to work on a few of these cars for people who had been sucked in by the bling and shiny paint. Can't print what he said here!

Won't go into what I saw on this 73 Mach 1. Since we are 71-73 people and these are our "Children" everyone here knows what is correct and what isn't.

From the pictures it looks like it could make a nice car...just not at 46,900.00. I'm at the point that if I needed a 71-73 Mustang it would have to be from someone I knew or from someone on this site.

Ok, I'm done! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
You need better dreams

I am not saying this is a good car by any means. i always wanted a Baby Blue 73 mach 1 with Mach 1 interior, fold down, Q Code 4 spd with AC. That not a good enough dream for you, it is for me.

David

Well David, all I can say is "Here we go again", or to quote a line from a song by Herman's Hermits from our time area, "Second verse same as the first. Evidently they didn't get the memo from the 71-73 haters about 71-73 Mustang performance being on the same level as a commode or how all 71-73 Mustangs are junk that nobody wants. Prices like these should make the 65-70 people draw their shoulders up like screeching chalk on a chalk board!

At $46,900.00 I will once again say show me a Boss 351, a 71 Q, a 72R, or a production installed 429 in any 71 Mustang, and then I'll say "GAME ON"!

Went to an annual car show in Charlotte with a very experienced body man one year and looked at some vehicles there from a local car flipper much like the one offering this Mach1. He just laughed and said "You just don't have a clue what that shiny paint and chrome is hiding"! They don't make any money doing a time consuming concours restoration. He had the opportunity to work on a few of these cars for people who had been sucked in by the bling and shiny paint. Can't print what he said here!

Won't go into what I saw on this 73 Mach 1. Since we are 71-73 people and these are our "Children" everyone here knows what is correct and what isn't.

From the pictures it looks like it could make a nice car...just not at 46,900.00. I'm at the point that if I needed a 71-73 Mustang it would have to be from someone I knew or from someone on this site.

Ok, I'm done! :cool:
Steve,

I will have to say that is the cleanest build sheet I have ever seen, wish mine was like that, lol. Wonder where they got it made?

David

David, I was wondering the same thing about a build sheet if original,that is 42 years old. Don't know of anyone reproducing those at this time. The sheets in my Mach 1's were trash. The only one I have is out of my 85 GT. The South Carolina sun was so brutal on my red interior that I had to replace a very faded carpet in 89. Lot of valuable info on the build sheet. Would hate to see what Marti would charge for those if ever available!

The letter they are showing from Ford Customer Relations Center used to be free. They are now charging I believe $46.00, I may have to go to site and check. It looks nice with the Ford letter head, but the info they show is the same as the Deluxe Marti report and not as comprehensive.

This car really does look good from what you see from your keyboard. There was a light blue 73 Mach 1 that a sister of one of my hangout buddies drove that looked like this one, but with the aluminum rims. She kept the car spotless and she was pleasant to look at.

Hmmm - "Professionally Restored" would've had the engine compartment painted black, the TuTone done correctly on a hood lock-equipped hood, and the stripes not cut a half inch short at each wheel opening flare. What is up with that steering wheel, anyway? Should've gotten a new door VIN sticker, too.

Looks like a nice $18-20K car to me.

David
I'm with you. I spoke with these guys about a "correct" Boss they had a while back that they wanted too much money for. Not even close.

Mweeps had posted that this was close to his dream car. Therein lies the problem. No matter if its a Z28, a Cuda, or a nice shiny Mustang. These are our dream cars. I fell in love with the Mustang the very first time I saw one. I dreamed that one day there would be one in our driveway. When my Dad returned from Vietnam, and being a Ford man, he decided he wanted a Mustang. A trip to what was then Hull-Dobbs Ford in Memphis resulted in a great deal on the last 66 Mustang they had.(could not convince him that 67 390 GT fastback was what we really needed) That little 66 289 coupe got us all hooked on Mustangs for life. Fortunately we had a full size Mercury for a family car since we all could not fit in Dad's new toy. A lot of people have to put their dream cars on hold for many reasons. A growing family that made a small car impractical, college or school of some type, or sometimes just life and unexpected events.

Years later your kids are grown, home paid, retired or close to it and your ready for that dream car. You see that E-Bay car that had been "Professionally restored" to original condition and had been appraised by a professional Mustang appraiser. Forty thousand and up is kinda high, but it's been "Professionally" restored and appraised. What could go wrong?! This and the 1 of 50 cars are just not high end cars like a Boss or a 71 429. Like David said, it burns me to see people lay out hard earned money on their dream car only to get smoked. I will say again, these folks don't make money doing time consuming concours restorations. Shiny paint and plenty of bling is the name of the game.

That's why I feel being on this forum is so important. There are so many knowledgeable people here with a wealth of information to share. We may not all agree all the time, but I'm sure we all want everyone to enjoy their Mustangs and not regret ever purchasing one.

I've been here for about 5 1/2 years now and based on what I know of our members, I'm pretty sure the comment Jeff made regarding mweeps' remark of "being close to his dream Mach 1" was more with regards to the car on ebay not being up to snuff, and not so much a gouge on what mweeps considers a dream car. :cool:

We all have our dream cars... and not all of them are '71-'73 Mustangs (if I could afford a Ferrari 365 Daytona Spyder, I would possibly not even have bothered with resurrecting my '71 Mach 1... for instance). :whistling: But, I have my own story on how a Grabber Yellow H-Code '71 Mach 1 found its way toward the top of my "dream car list," just like everybody else.

As far as my comments about being "professionally restored," and "appraised by a professional Mustang appraiser," based on everything I've learned from being a member of this community, I can honestly say: "The restorer got some things wrong, and the appraiser overlooked them." Having seen a LOT of fine work by non-professional members of our group, I am convinced now more than ever that the value of "professional restoration & appraisal" is somewhat over-inflated - they've become over-used buzz-words that only serve to cheapen the real efforts by reputable restoration professionals. Another reason I really don't care for Gas Monkey Garage compared to Count's Kustoms (for example).

Back