Pricey 73 mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who authenticates the Mustang appraiser? Did he graduate top of his class at Mustang Master University? Maybe he took an online course. I was going to add the laughing emoji here but it really isn't funny.

This members of our forum could create a real Mustang Appraiser exam then certify the members who pass it as official 7173Mustang.com Mustang Experts!

That's not a bad idea, actually. :bravo:

I wonder if it would be taken seriously by MCA or anybody else with any kind of cred in the Mustang world. I mean, anybody who's anybody with regards to the '71-'73 world are pretty much right here.

Hmmmm...

I have only been on the board for a few months, but have been involved solely with the '71-3 Mustang since 1979... I have seen the good, but mostly bad when it comes to these cars and what people think they have. Like anything in life, you have to do your research and know what you are buying, if not, you generally can only blame yourself. However, having said this, one can do much research and still get burned. It does come down to mutual integrity in dealing with the seller/purchaser of the car.

As for restoration, as noted in these responses, an over-used word but highly mis-understood. When I tore down my J-Code vert recently, I was not surprised by what I found, because the seller had been honest with me, based on their knowledge of the car. I bought it without ever seeing it in person... not something I would recommend, but having owned and worked on many of these vehicles for the past 36 years, I knew what I was getting in advance based on my review of the car online and asking direct questions of the seller.

In this instance, all I asked the seller to be totally upfront about was the condition of the body (ie: original panels and if not what had been replaced. The second and equally important factor was a #'s matching drivetrain. I would have not bought the car if it was not #'s matching, everything else I could work with. I am completing my very first full rotisserie restoration on this particular car and for me, it needed to be complete in consideration of the $$ I paid for it in "non-restored" condition.

So yes, what this particular seller is doing in advertising this car on the auction site is not totally right in my mind, but they are generally being upfront; more extrapolating the words somewhat. As in anything, it comes down to an educated consumer... It still could be a nice car, for the right price.

Last edited:
Who authenticates the Mustang appraiser? Did he graduate top of his class at Mustang Master University? Maybe he took an online course. I was going to add the laughing emoji here but it really isn't funny.

This members of our forum could create a real Mustang Appraiser exam then certify the members who pass it as official 7173Mustang.com Mustang Experts!
They are the same ones who helped Al Gore invent the internet...after they graduated from Bull S**t University.

I'll say again how great it is to be a forum member here. So much knowledge and experience here with everyone willing to help each other any way possible. Don't get robbed of your dream car money over some cloned Gas Monkey Garage piece of trash.

And Mr4X4, if money is no object, my non Ford dream car would be a F40 or F50 Ferrari or a Aston Martin DB10 like seen in the new James Bond movie! :cool:

I'd take an F40... but they started getting a little weird after that, IMHO. :cool:

That's not a bad idea, actually.
Thanks, even I mess up and have a not bad idea slip out once and a while. :thankyouyellow:

I wonder if it would be taken seriously by MCA or anybody else with any kind of cred in the Mustang world.
I would guess like anything, you would have to build a reputation. If we did offer such a certification, those members (if they wanted) could be listed 'for hire' to appraise a vehicle using an official 7173Mustang checklist/appraisal form.

As far as a test I do not know where you would get a good base from. I was a member of MCA in the early 80's. I took my 73 Mach 1 to the MCA nationals in Atlanta and entered it in unrestored original. They did not give the judging sheet to me there they mailed. They had a list of a bunch of items that would have to change to make my car do any better. I took third and never cleaned the undercarriage. I ordered it the only owner and it had 12,000 miles on it. The list of items incorrect included fasteners that had never been out of the car. The right front fender had been painted due to a friend of mine scraping a mail box door on it while I was on a trip out west. He had it painted before I got back and it did not match too good. Everything else was and is factory.

The judges at MCA wrote the rules to make their cars be correct it did not matter if they were or not.

MCA has approved vendors you use like AMK for fasteners to do a "Concourse Restoration". I got one of the Master Bolt Kits for 71-73 for a car I am currently working on. Every bolt on the car and I do not think a single one of them matches the originals. They all come in nice little bags marked exactly where they go. The maker marks are wrong the lengths are wrong the heads are wrong but they are considered by MCA to be correct. I personally know that one of the head judges changed the mileage on one of his 73 Mach 1 and changed body panels but he says it is a rare low mileage car with "Special panels". His car is correct by MCA and I know it was changed the previous owner was a friend of mine and he changed them.

It is like the old game we use to play in class. The teacher would tell a story verbally reading from a paper to the first student and then each student had to verbally tell the next from memory until you got all the way around the class. Then the last person would tell the story while the class looked at a printed copy of the first story the teacher told. After it went through 20 people there was noting the same. Numbers changed, dates, what happened it is hilarious.

That is how our cars are the owner tells you that everything is original nothing changed just like the guy before him told him.

Now I will jump off this topic. I am in a motel travel away from home got bit by the car buying bug again. I will go tomorrow to look at one of the off brands to buy and flip. It is a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 all original never restored, 4 speed, rock crusher, 12 bolt posi, cowl induction hood with flapper, buckets, console, lol. This is another one of those cars that is counterfeited over and over due to the lack of GM documentation. This one has not been painted and not rusty or wrecked. He bought in the 70's and put in a building and it sat there. If he does not have the original window sticker you can believe only what you can prove. It might be a find and might be nothing. He cannot even tell me if it is LS5 or LS6 and that is huge. One is a truck and bus motor and the other is a pure race engine. So if the vin and block numbers match I will probably buy but if not it is just like the light blue Mach 1 one mans dream but if it isn't real and right it is just a shiny parts car.

Everything might be there but without proof it is just a parts car.

David

As far as a test I do not know where you would get a good base from. I was a member of MCA in the early 80's. I took my 73 Mach 1 to the MCA nationals in Atlanta and entered it in unrestored original. They did not give the judging sheet to me there they mailed. They had a list of a bunch of items that would have to change to make my car do any better. I took third and never cleaned the undercarriage. I ordered it the only owner and it had 12,000 miles on it. The list of items incorrect included fasteners that had never been out of the car. The right front fender had been painted due to a friend of mine scraping a mail box door on it while I was on a trip out west. He had it painted before I got back and it did not match too good. Everything else was and is factory.

The judges at MCA wrote the rules to make their cars be correct it did not matter if they were or not.

MCA has approved vendors you use like AMK for fasteners to do a "Concourse Restoration". I got one of the Master Bolt Kits for 71-73 for a car I am currently working on. Every bolt on the car and I do not think a single one of them matches the originals. They all come in nice little bags marked exactly where they go. The maker marks are wrong the lengths are wrong the heads are wrong but they are considered by MCA to be correct. I personally know that one of the head judges changed the mileage on one of his 73 Mach 1 and changed body panels but he says it is a rare low mileage car with "Special panels". His car is correct by MCA and I know it was changed the previous owner was a friend of mine and he changed them.

It is like the old game we use to play in class. The teacher would tell a story verbally reading from a paper to the first student and then each student had to verbally tell the next from memory until you got all the way around the class. Then the last person would tell the story while the class looked at a printed copy of the first story the teacher told. After it went through 20 people there was noting the same. Numbers changed, dates, what happened it is hilarious.

That is how our cars are the owner tells you that everything is original nothing changed just like the guy before him told him.

Now I will jump off this topic. I am in a motel travel away from home got bit by the car buying bug again. I will go tomorrow to look at one of the off brands to buy and flip. It is a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 all original never restored, 4 speed, rock crusher, 12 bolt posi, cowl induction hood with flapper, buckets, console, lol. This is another one of those cars that is counterfeited over and over due to the lack of GM documentation. This one has not been painted and not rusty or wrecked. He bought in the 70's and put in a building and it sat there. If he does not have the original window sticker you can believe only what you can prove. It might be a find and might be nothing. He cannot even tell me if it is LS5 or LS6 and that is huge. One is a truck and bus motor and the other is a pure race engine. So if the vin and block numbers match I will probably buy but if not it is just like the light blue Mach 1 one mans dream but if it isn't real and right it is just a shiny parts car.

Everything might be there but without proof it is just a parts car.

David
I always appreciate your insight into the judging procedures. And I never enter those "contests". I laughed when the PO of my car was showing me how it won an MCA judging - it's repainted a different color, some "wrong" parts etc. Lots of original stuff too but...not a show winner.

But I love my car for what it is and don't really care much about what it is not.

Good luck with the Chevelle.

Did he graduate top of his class at Mustang Master University? Maybe he took an online course.
Sure...bring in Fast Freddy from Mustang Masters into the conversation...just what we need.lollerz

Why a 73 over a 2 or 1?
Not really understanding your question. I believe "personal preference" is pretty much the answer, though.

I know I prefer the '71-'72 deluxe [sport lamp] grille over the vertical signal lights on the '73s... but that's just a preference - were I not able to find my '71, I would've been happy with a '73 (especially since I restomodded mine anyway).

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1973-FORD-MUSTANG-MACH-1-FASTBACK-187111

This car sold @ Barrett Jackson Las Vegas 2015 lot #327 for $27,500.00 if he gets his price that's quite the profit..

Good find! Looking over the Barrett-Jackson illustrations it looks as though this flipper just bought the car,knocked the dust off of it, gave it a glowing write up, marked it up almost 20K, and he's done. So he doesn't even know what's under that slick paint! Just goes to show no matter if you buy from an car flipper with the glowing, glossed over write up or from a big name auction house like Barrett-Jackson....BUYER BEWARE!!!

PastelBlue brought up some very good points. Do your research. Try to find out as much as possible about your seller. A lot of Gas Monkey Garage types out there who will "Bling-"em" up, and leave you with an expensive pile of problems. Yes sir, a lot of bad out here.

As in PastelBlues deal, I would just as soon buy from an individual who was upfront about any rust, problems, or previous repairs so when you find them there are no surprises. :cool:

Back