'71 - 429 cj P/S Cooler Install?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pastel Blue

As I look to prepare for the next phase of my restoration, the issue of a P/S cooler being installed on my '71 429 cj convertible needs to be resolved.

My car does not have one (it is an A/C car), and it looks like it may never have had one? I can't be sure after all of this time as I do not know the history of the mechanicals in the engine compartment. The driveline is #'s matching, including the original P/S steering pump. One of the P/S hose is a D1ZA-3A713- ACI. There are three #'s beside this "067" which I would suspect is a date code. The other hose does not have an engineering/part # stamped in the housing that I can see, which leads me to believe that this may possibly be a replacement at some point in time. However, I don't see the reason to remove a P/S cooler, they rarely require servicing.

Upon reviewing the final addition Ford '75 Master Parts Catalogue, I note that there are three scenarios (diagrams) shown: No A/C - with P/S cooler install, A/C with P/S cooler install and a no P/S cooler install period, which looks very close to my scenario.

I have heard previously that the P/S cooler was installed on cars going to warmer climates, not sure how this decision was made at the factory... My car, although spending most of its life in AZ, was sold to a dealer in the Salt Lake City, Utah area from the factory (not a warm climate).

Is there a way to determine (confirm) if the cooler was installed on my car from the factory ( and no, the build sheet disintegrated under the drivers foot floor pan... :-\).

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
That's hard to pinpoint as I've talked to others about this. My own experience with this is 3 mach1 all with factory a/c, all 351c and only one had PS cooler. They all had about same DSO up north here. The only difference was 2 had longer return hose looped up and over driver side tower brace and the one with the cooler, the return hose was plumb to cooler then back to the pump.

Yep, this is a tough one. Many opinions on this over the years and without my having the Build sheet I can never be 100% sure. I'm leaning towards no cooler only because it is not there and the rest of the car is all original. The fact that it is an A/C car, I would have thought it was a given. For now, go with what is presented to me under the hood... Cheers

I think there was quite a thread on this in the past. With your engine and air you have the wide radiator. No cars with the narrow radiator had coolers no matter where they went. I have one of those and no cooler.

Gosh I would have thought that a 429 with air would have been a for sure thing. No way of knowing without the build sheet or original car. I don't think anything on the buck tag is related to the cooler you didn't need anything added in the body shop so it would not show.

David

I am going to try and get in touch with Rich Pajzer (sp?) on the 429 forum site. He is very knowledgeable in these matters, but has not been to active on sites for a while now. I cant speak for what threads on this site may or may not have agreed to previously, but I will concur with the thought of an original car to compare to. I am currently researching the 429 forum to see what I can come up with also.

Thanks.

Did you ever get an answer to this as my car appears to be the same as yours but I'm not sure if it came that way from the factory or not,
Post a of your factory set up and we can discuss further...

Did you ever get an answer to this as my car appears to be the same as yours but I'm not sure if it came that way from the factory or not,
I have the long tube that on most cars sits on top of the drivers side shock tower brace but in the picture below it the tube is underneath.

1971 Mustang 429 engine image 2.jpg

I have the long tube that on most cars sits on top of the drivers side shock tower brace but in the picture below it the tube is underneath.
They did not sit on the brace on the 429 cars. Hard to tell from your picture, but there may have been a cooler on top of your compressor at one time. If you have your build sheet, may be able to decipher from that. Mine disintegrated under the drivers footwell area... the Master Parts Catalogue (1975 final edition), shows three possible set ups for the P/S set up on theses cars. No AC with cooler attached to front of block area, A/C with a cooler setup installed on top of the compressor and a no cooler install at all, with lines running similar to yours...

I plan on pulling the carpet in December and hopefully there's a build sheet under there. I've seen similarly equipped 429's and some have coolers and some don't. The only other explanation might be that it was a running change to add them as my car is an early build car (10/70).

Thanks for the response!

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on pulling the carpet in December and hopefully there's a build sheet under there. I've seen similarly equipped 429's and some have coolers and some don't. The only other explanation might be that it was a running change to add them as my car is an early build car (10/70).

Thanks for the response!
Maybe... But with A/C (mine has this also), if the factory was ever going to install these, it would be on all car's with this option. Clearly, the MPC shows this setup on A/C cars but also shows the engine with no cooler, therein lies the issue. People tell you that it should be there, but no one can offer 100% proof to back up the statement. After 45 years, you may never know for sure without the factory build sheet to confirm. Let me know if you find your build sheet. I am looking to put a P/S cooler on my restoration, as I believe it should be there: BB engine with A/C....

Back