1971 mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aypsears

Reaction score
My Car
71 MUSTANG WITH 19 OPTIONS FROM THE FACTORY
Hi Guys been awhile I have been working on my car a lot during this pass year want to finish up all the panel fitting and welding. this week I have the car sitting on six jack stands level front to back and side to side. I am in the process of rechecking the the unibody to ensure its still square. I used the factory unibody diagram a tape measure and some hanging frame gauges. I plan on cutting the roof/rear structure off and replacing with a better roof/rear structure from a donor fastback. My roof/rear structure has a lot of damage and rot. so the best route is to replace. I already replaced all the inner fenders, shock towers, cowl and floor. The new roof and rear structure will provide a soild platform to weld new inner and outer wheel houses, tail light panel and trunk floor. By the time I am done with the panel fitting and welding the car will not have any rust any where. I been having a lot fun repairing this car. I have learned a lot that's for sure. keep up the good work I will post some pictures later Thanks Aypsears

It sounds like you just about changed all metalwork. With the cost in materials and man hours would it have been easier and just as cheap(when you deduct man hours saved) to have went out and bought a complete body? Not that i have ever tried that task or want a car that requires that much welding. I would never dream of taking your car on. I salute you sir ::thumb:: :bravo:

It sounds like you just about changed all metalwork. With the cost in materials and man hours would it have been easier and just as cheap(when you deduct man hours saved) to have went out and bought a complete body? Not that i have ever tried that task or want a car that requires that much welding. I would never dream of taking your car on. I salute you sir ::thumb:: :bravo:
When I first started the car my uncle was there to help what he saw was dollar signs. the smart way to go on this vechile would have been a second body. when I started the car with my uncle it was 2006 I did not know any thing about body work, labor, cost and time. so I relied on his knowledge. my uncle left town in 2009 with a ton of my money and everyone elses. he left me a mess to deal with. our 2006 agreement was he would help me fix the car and teach me as I went. well what he did teach me some things but not the right stuff. in 2009 the car was some what done but the unibody was not right and the welding and fitting of the panels sucked. So i let the car sit for awhile. then decided to continue, I talked to local body shop who was willing to take the job on waited for them for about a year. they talked a lot crap gave up on them. so I talked with a second local body shop with a frame machine. he toke the job and repaired the unibody. He also told me the car need some more work on the panels. ie welding. oh boy I have come this far might as well as keep going. at this point do I give up and start over with a second body? or do I just keep going on the same body. at best I was screwed over by uncle. why I gave him money. Since then I have been screwed over by two other local shops in town. however no money changed hands just promises. One shop has stood by me and helped me along the way that's the frame shop. yes I have a ton of money tied up into the vechile so far however I will never sell the car I plan on keeping the car until I die. so I continue on with the build. Once I am done I should be a pro at weld repair panel aligiment. My next project is a convertible however I WILL NOT HIRE ANY FAMILY MEMEBERS. Finally the car is a 1971 m code mustang mac one with 19 options from the factory. I am adding five more options. In my opinion its worth saving

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, it's one thing to get a raw deal, but by a family member?

That's rough.

Best of luck with your project.

It's never too late to change your mind. Rule #1 of cars is start with the most expensive start you can. If you are still looking at $$$ to finish what you've started it still might be better in the long run to find another car....

B

Man, it's one thing to get a raw deal, but by a family member?

That's rough.

Best of luck with your project.

It's never too late to change your mind. Rule #1 of cars is start with the most expensive start you can. If you are still looking at $$$ to finish what you've started it still might be better in the long run to find another car....

B
yea its been rough but I am learning as I go I plan on keeping the car since its been this far. thanks for your support

I am so glad you havr perserverence. Don't let nobody hold you back or knock you back. The harder you have to work to achieve something the more you will appreciate it in the end. And i thought i had it tough living across the pond!!! I am sure you will be a inspiration to other members on this site ::thumb::

Back