fixed my a/c problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrose

Reaction score
My Car
73 convertible, 351c 2bbl,red/white roof.
CIMG0909.JPG[attachment=3373][attachment=3373]Had my 73 in a new shop for the following:

1.Alignment and wheel balance...alignment was fine, all wheels way out of balance.

2.ADD a ground wire....as I drove in, all electrics failed!Car never had a good ground!

3.Redo timing and fix vacuum leaks at carb .Fix smell of gas.The gas cap had NO gasket. They found one and its fixed.

4.A/c runs for a few mins, as car gets hot, it disappears.

This was the biggie for me. Ive had THREE shops look at this. Phil evac and refilled the R134 and showed me(after I've had the car about 25 years) how to put the slider from max to fresh and it works!

Also, we felt that the manual shut off valve was open(seized) and letting hot water into the heater and the cabin was HOT.At his suggestion, I went to Home Depot,bought a brass 1/2" ball valve,note the two heater hoses were different sizes-5/8 and 3/4

I bought 2 screw to bayonet 1/2 x 1/2 fittings and used teflon tape for the oversized hose and clamped it down well.

Voila-I have cold air all the time and its 90 degrees here in S.Florida today.

BTW, the old manual valve was stuck FULL open!

Adrian

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about adding a cut off valve on the heater hose on my 6 cyl. I think the non-AC cars never had one, so just sliding to heater door to cool doesn't seem to cut off all the heat.

Back