Screw in stud install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I ended up having to replace my lifters this week, so I had to disassemble valve-train. My question is this, do I use a moly lube or oil on the threads of my screw in studs for installation? I was told not to use threadlocker.

You should never use Moly lube on fasteners. The lube will tend to make the fastener go over torque. Use only light oil and go by the Mfg. suggestions for torque. I don't know why you would not use thread lock on them. If you did have to remove a little heat breaks the bond of the Lock Tite.

If you put Moly like on rod bolts you can break them before reaching torque. They should be done by stretch anyway.

remember also that these are blind holes. They need to be clean and dry before you install the studs and whatever you put on the threads needs to be done so sparingly. I used red locktite on mine.

If you were to put some oil in a blind hole and then try and torque down a fastener, the hydraulic pressure can cause damage.(as in, cause the head to crack)

remember also that these are blind holes. They need to be clean and dry before you install the studs and whatever you put on the threads needs to be done so sparingly. I used red locktite on mine.

If you were to put some oil in a blind hole and then try and torque down a fastener, the hydraulic pressure can cause damage.(as in, cause the head to crack)
I was told red locktite as well.

I used the little tube of Red Locktite that actually came with the Crane Cams rocker stud kit I went with when I installed them. Not sure who told you not to use it, but if it actually comes with the kit I'm thinking you're probably going to want to use it. :whistling:

And yes - make sure the holes and threads are absolutely clean & dry before installation. ::thumb::

I used the little tube of Red Locktite that actually came with the Crane Cams rocker stud kit I went with when I installed them. Not sure who told you not to use it, but if it actually comes with the kit I'm thinking you're probably going to want to use it. :whistling:

And yes - tmake sure the holes and threads are absolutely clean & dry before installation. ::thumb::
+1, I did the same and agree about the holes and threads.

Omie,

If that's what ARP says to do, then that's what you need to do.

My Crane Cams stud kit said to use the Red Locktite that came in the kit, that's why I wrote what I wrote. :shootself:

You originally said, "I was told not to use threadlocker," without citing the source or the brand of rocker studs you are using. That sounded to me like 'someone' told you not to do it. I believe the advice offered by everybody so far suggests nothing more than following the directions you've been given with the product you purchased.

Good luck with it - I think you're going to like it just fine. ::thumb::

When I removed them they did have the Ultra torque stuff on them so I just did that again. Thanks for all the info gents!! I got the lifters, pushrods and rockers back in last night. Tonight: Install Intake Manifold!

Well, wish me luck. Got a full new set of Lunati Hydraulic roller lifters installed, rockers all set to the recommended half turn pre-load and engine and accessories are back together. Just have to prime oil system, drop in dizzy and fire it up!! I'm very nervous!!:-/

Hey can you post up the part number or a link to your lifters?? I have Comp roller lifters and have been having lots of trouble with them. Had 3 in a row collapse. I would like to choke someone from comp!!

Hey can you post up the part number or a link to your lifters?? I have Comp roller lifters and have been having lots of trouble with them. Had 3 in a row collapse. I would like to choke someone from comp!!
Kevin, you would likely have to go to China to do that!!! My engine builder says that Comp Cams stuff is Chinese junk. I have not substantiated that statement, so don't get on my case if I'm wrong.

I also used ARP studs with a thin film of ultra torque lube on the thread. Doesn't hurt to run a plug tap through all the threads first to give them a good clean and blast with compressed air. Any restriction or grit in the thread will affect torque.

Good luck with the fire up, a very exciting time!!!!

...Mickus

The lifters I used were part Lunati:#72335-16, they appear to be good lifters, but like everything else today, quality control is always questionable. But I got it fired up last night and everything sounds good, no extreme ticking, just the normal typewriter sounds of a roller valvetrain!!:D

Back