351 C Tripower

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
I have some shots of the completed install but I need to go find them.

Here is a pic of my 351C tripower intake manifold.

cba9c11d2c6e4009b56b519e7775213c

And a test fitting

74ca43a89b8c4af29d19899e2e6ba3a3

Will looks good. Where did you ever find a tripower set up for a cleaveland?

Jim
Ebay. 1999 I think, maybe it was 2000. It had never been mounted. At the time I had 2v heads, headers and a comp 9000. To get the manifold to work I had to go with 4v heads, headers and a small cap distributor (closer to stock size). I bid at the last moment. Had three computers, one on dial up, ready to go. I bid high and hit the reserve price.

The carbs are what was used on Corvettes and Mopar back in the day. You can see from the pic that the middle/back carbs are mounted really close to each other. This means I can't use 'mechanical' linkage since they have meter blocks. I had to use vacuum outboard carbs. It's a 350 cfm center and 500 on each outboard (rated at 2bbl flow which is different than 4bbl).

It runs pretty good. Not 'the best' performance set up as I don't pull enough RPM's to justify the CFM's but it has a certain 'cool' factor.

The pictures are on a different hard drive (currently off line) but I was looking at some pics on my PS3 and found these two:

This is with the air cleaners on. They are from Obrians Trucker.

thumb_647_30_05_11_10_58_45.jpeg

Here is with the air cleaners off. You can see how close they are together and why I had to go with the small cap distributor.

thumb_647_30_05_11_11_01_42.jpeg

I finally ditched the A/C in the car. Once it was no longer my daily driver it wasn't necessary. The A/C worked well except the Convertible doesn't seal that well so once I started moving again all of the cool air was replaced with warm air. Now I pretty much only drive on nice days and pretty much always with the top down. There were some times where I would cruize with the top down and the A/C on.

I've never seen nor heard of three deuces on a 351. That is awesome! Even with 4V heads you couldn't get enough rev's, huh? I suppose it would be hard to suck 1200 CFM with a 351, with with those big ports I thought it might be possible.

Interesting... Still trying to figure out the attachment thing. I have them in my gallery if you want to see a larger picture.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/ezgallery.php?action=view&id=604

and

http://www.7173mustangs.com/ezgallery.php?action=view&id=603

I've never seen nor heard of three deuces on a 351. That is awesome! Even with 4V heads you couldn't get enough rev's, huh? I suppose it would be hard to suck 1200 CFM with a 351, with with those big ports I thought it might be possible.

The cam just doesn't allow the RPM's. Flat tappet hydro cam with an okay idle. (Comp Cams 270H). Next engine should be able to take better advantage of the available CFM. I will switch to a roller cam setup. This will allow for decent idle and the faster ramp of a roller cam means the grind can be a little more agressive. I plan to stroke it and use a Tod Buttermore Aluminum block.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice looking setup I had seen these intakes online but never on an engine looks awesome. I'm pretty sure you can find a setup that will go well with that intake. Guess it's just a matter of trial and error.

The cam just doesn't allow the RPM's. Flat tappet hydro cam with an okay idle. (Comp Cams 270H). Next engine should be able to take better advantage of the available CFM. I will switch to a roller cam setup. This will allow for decent idle and the faster ramp of a roller cam means the grind can be a little more agressive. I plan to stroke it and use a Tod Buttermore Aluminum block.

Oh I see you are a member of clevelands forever, so money will be leaving your wallet faster than it gets replaced. Just like me.........LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I see you are a member of clevelands forever, so money will be leaving your wallet faster than it gets replaced. Just like me.........LOL
Yep! That's how I found this site. I am very excited to hook up with other folks interested in these generations of Mustangs.

I put a deposit down on a Tod block 3 or 4 years ago. I know it has been slow going but I have faith. If I get the chance I will stroke it, roller it, put some 4v heads on it (CHI or that other guy that has heads that look stock). If I can get it to turn 7000 and still pull then I will be a happy camper.

Will,

Neat setup! I have a friend who owns a 71 Dodge Charger with a factory 440 tri-power setup.

If you need any help I can try to contact him for you.

Just PM me if this might help.

Ray

Back