Will this tire combo work?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
THis is for stock steel 7" rims with hub caps. 

Will 275/60/15's fit on the back under the fender wells?  If not what is the max size I can go with?    275/60/15

Will 255/60/15's fit on the front without rubbing?  If not what is the max size I can go with? 255/60/15

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I do not think a 275 tire will fit a 7" rim. If you were able to get it to fit it would not be something that I would consider safe. 255 is pushing it.

I just happen to have a tire sizing chart for BFG TA's as I'm in process of ordering new tires for my car.

For the 15" rims the 255-60-R15 minimum wheel width shows 7", rim width range 7-9"

For the 275-60-R15, the rim width range is 7.5 -9.5".

In other words you're going to be tight. You might consider going a bit smaller, 245-60-R15 front and 255-60-R15 back, but even they are going to look a bit "ballooned" on the rims. The rim widths respectively are 7- 8.5" and 7- 9" for those sizes.

My car had 235-60 R14's on 7" fronts and 245-60-R14' s on 7" backs and they looked bulged. I needed to buy new Magnum 500's, so I got 8's for the back and they look much better.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Summit the minimum recommended rim width for that tire is 7.5"

It has been reported by numerous members that a 275 tire on an 8 inch rim with 4.5" backspacing fits on the rear but I have not personally run that combo.

A 275 will fit on a 7" rim. It's not ideal, but it'll fit.

255s fit fine on a 7" rim in the front, only issue I ever had was the tire might rub by the steering box bolts at full lock on a LH turn into a parking lot.

so it looks like there iisnt another tire size between 255 60 15 and 275 60 15.

So I guess 245 60 15's front 255 60 15's back???

What is the difference in tread width between front and rear?

Will this setup look good? I really want bigger in the back.

You would have a little over 1/4" difference in tread width.
So really for that I might as well go same size all the way around.  You're not going to be able to see 1/4" difference.  Basicaly unless I take the chance on the 275's on the rear I'm not going to get the look I want.  

Thoughts??

Not sure what other think, but I wouldn't want to go too wide a tire in the front. You don't see race cars with the same width tire back and front for a reason.

On mine with 14" Magnums, I like the look of 235-60's front on 7" rims and 245-60 back on 8" rims. Those are as big as I can go on 14's. (I do need new tires, but my rims are only three years old and I can't afford to buy new rims with the current dollar exchange rate)

Why not look at 235's and 275's, but you may be wise to go to 8.5" rims, which is in the middle range for rim width. I think those would look really good.

Geoff.

Not sure what other think, but I wouldn't want to go too wide a tire in the front. You don't see race cars with the same width tire back and front for a reason.

On mine with 14" Magnums, I like the look of 235-60's front on 7" rims and 245-60 back on 8" rims. Those are as big as I can go on 14's. (I do need new tires, but my rims are only three years old and I can't afford to buy new rims with the current dollar exchange rate)

Why not look at 235's and 275's, but you may be wise to go to 8.5" rims, which is in the middle range for rim width. I think those would look really good.

Geoff.
235/60R15 & 245/60R15, depending upon the mfr, are the modern equivalent to the F60-15 that sc's car came with. He has the factory 15X7 steel rims. 

The problem with 14" rims is there are so few options for a decent tire anymore. Those that are decent are more expensive than the better options in the 15" and up sizes.

Car below had 255 front, 275 rears on 15X7 Hurricane rims with zero offset.

Geoff.
235/60R15 & 245/60R15, depending upon the mfr, are the modern equivalent to the F60-15 that sc's car came with. He has the factory 15X7 steel rims. 

The problem with 14" rims is there are so few options for a decent tire anymore. Those that are decent are more expensive than the better options in the 15" and up sizes.
 Hemikiller, yes I know sc has 15x7's and probably does not want to buy new rims for the back, don't blame him.

For normal street driving, I find 235 and 245 plenty of rubber under me to hold the road even under hard cornering. I'm sure these sizes on 15x7's would be just fine. If he really wants that "big tire" look, he'll need bigger rims or they'll look funny.

Your very right about a limited supply of sizes for 14" rims. As far as I know, only BFG and Cooper make the larger widths. For me, if I had not had to buy rims recently, I'd definitely switch to 15's and probably 235 and 255's max.

Just my thoughts on it.

Geoff.

Ok just so I am clear. I CANT fit 275's on my 7" rims? Seems I've seen some say yes and some say no.

If no what would look good with bigger on the rear than on the front? Tire sizes for front and rear??

I would go 235 on the front and 255 on rear. This will give you the look your after and still work on the 7" rims without excessive tire bulge. Just my opinion though. Do you have the engine back together and the car running and driving yet?

Are you buying your tires locally or ordering them? If you are buying them locally see if they will mount one of the 275s on your wheel, see if you like, or don't, the looks of them on your wheel. Some people like the bulge, some don't, just like some people like the looks of skinny tires on wide wheels.

Just stay within the manufacturers' recommended wheel width to tire size, they will vary by manufacturer, just because one manufacturer approves the tire/wheel width combination, another might not. Radials are more likely to fit a wider range of wheel/tire combinations than bias ply tires.

My last "say" on this and it's only just my opinion. Some like one thing other like something else and that applies to just about everything on our cars, to each their own.

BUT for me, I do like a beefy looking tire combo. There's just a point when it get ridiculous and too wide is too wide, not only for looks but for safety and handling. I just think one needs to be reasonable and choose a wheel/tire combo that a, looks good and b, is safe. I was once told by a friend who had a tire shop that a tire on a too wide rim is as bad as a tire on a too narrow rim, it stresses the side walls beyond manufacturers limits. Keep that in mind, that's all I'm saying.

Final thought 235 and 255 on 15 x7's

If you're going for aesthetics, I say do it how you like it. Personally I like driving it like I stole it. I like the balanced feel of 245s all around. My car has a Detroit Locker and I need the same size tires in the front to keep it from plowing when turning. Smaller tires in front would make the car way too tight, partly due to the locker, partly due to the front-end weight bias.

NASCAR runs the same width on all four corners, too, a lot due to the spools they run in the rear ends. They adjust the stagger with air pressure.

I would go 235 on the front and 255 on rear. This will give you the look your after and still work on the 7" rims without excessive tire bulge. Just my opinion though. Do you have the engine back together and the car running and driving yet?
Just have to put the valve cover and carb on.  Everything else is done.  Hope to have it running by the weekend.  I am leaning towards the 235/255 combo.  I think the 275's will be too much for the 7" rims.  Since I'm ordering the tires off of ebay I don't want to get stuck with something that doesn't fit, look right and\or dangerous.

Back