Will this tire combo work?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would go 235 on the front and 255 on rear. This will give you the look your after and still work on the 7" rims without excessive tire bulge. Just my opinion though. Do you have the engine back together and the car running and driving yet?
Just have to put the valve cover and carb on.  Everything else is done.  Hope to have it running by the weekend.  I am leaning towards the 235/255 combo.  I think the 275's will be too much for the 7" rims.  Since I'm ordering the tires off of ebay I don't want to get stuck with something that doesn't fit, look right and\or dangerous.
Careful getting tires off eBay. I've had a couple friends get them from various suppliers there and the tires were old stock that was already 3~5 years old.

I would go 235 on the front and 255 on rear. This will give you the look your after and still work on the 7" rims without excessive tire bulge. Just my opinion though. Do you have the engine back together and the car running and driving yet?
Just have to put the valve cover and carb on.  Everything else is done.  Hope to have it running by the weekend.  I am leaning towards the 235/255 combo.  I think the 275's will be too much for the 7" rims.  Since I'm ordering the tires off of ebay I don't want to get stuck with something that doesn't fit, look right and\or dangerous.
Careful getting tires off eBay. I've had a couple friends get them from various suppliers there and the tires were old stock that was already 3~5 years old.
 Well I said final "say', but I have to agree with Hemikiller on this one. I would buy from Summit or Cj or better yet, your local tire dealer. If you're going with the 'norm', BFG's they can get them for sure, Beware of Chinese tires or other 'off brands' imo. Cheap is cheap for a reason.

Just my opinion, but BFGs are about 50% more expensive than the Cooper Cobras and not worth the extra money. I bought the Cobras for my 71.
 Honestly, how do you like the Cobra's? Are they a good handling tire in the wet or hard cornering? I'm into saving money, fixed budget and all. BFG are the "go-to" tire that most put on just about any classic out there and there reputation is well known, albeit a bit more expensive. The Coopers I heard (or read) have had problems, or is it just that some just want to complain?

As said, I'm sort of stuck with 14" wheels and also limited to tire choice. I'll take a serious look at Cooper Cobra's and see if my tire guy can get them. I'm NOT ordering from the US, way too expensive to get them in with exchange, shipping or me going over to get them.

Geoff.

Well I think I am going to go with either Cooper or Mastercraft 235/60/15's in the front and 255/60/15's in the rear on the stock hub cap rims. I will worry about wider tires when I get some after market 18's. But that's not in the budget right now. I will be happy to get it running and mobile on good tires!!!

Back