conv top

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know what that one is? I used lacquer thinner to clean mine and also the seats. I tried several upholstery cleaners and magic erasers and nothing worked anywhere near as good as the thinner did. Actually used a tooth brush to scrub the comfort weave material.

Reason I had to clean the top was on a parts car I bought and when I went to pick up I had to tape plastic due to being twisted and not sealing. The glue from the tape stuck to the top. It was a new top and I put it on my 73. It is plastic not the canvas material.

I have a VW beetle vert and it has the canvas I just scrubbed it with brush and dish detergent. Had been sitting for couple years in a car port. BTW the owners manual in the VW said it was normal for the vert top to leak, lol. It does, I keep a tarp on when not in garage.

So if you try the lacquer thinner do a small spot where you cannot see. Like open the top and when it pulls away from the rear you could clean area where it hooks to the body and not seen. You always test so many different materials are used it might melt yours.

A white to nothing works on one of my 65 verts has white and I hated it. My 73 came with white and PO sent new top in the box with the car but I put the black one on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back