Coat hook removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baz70

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1, White
can someone tell me how to remove the coat hooks ? these are attached to the roof of the car and will need to be removed when i eventually take out the headliner. I couldn't see an obvious way to take out although when i looked at the CJPP repro part it looks like i may need to push the hook upwards to free it from the roof panel. thanks.

they have a little "tab" that if you catch it with your nail, you will expose a screw .

Mark

P.S. Mark the location of that hole , on the wall next to the car (so you can find it again when you put the new headliner in)

they have a little "tab" that if you catch it with your nail, you will expose a screw .

Mark

P.S.  Mark the location of that hole , on the wall next to the car (so you can find it again when you put the new headliner in)
thanks, I'm being a little dumb here, where is the tab ? do you have a pic ? the hooks do turn so thought they just screwed off independently.

Mark

P.S.  Mark the location of that hole , on the wall next to the car (so you can find it again when you put the new headliner in)
thanks, I'm being a little dumb here, where is the tab ? do you have a pic ? the hooks do turn so thought they just screwed off independently.
The coat hook has a sleeve that slides up to reveal a inner skeleton with a phillips screw.

baz70,

Depending on how weathered your interior is plays a lot on how easy the plastic sleeve slides off the white plastic coat hook retainer. I've even seen some Garage Queens with brittle plastic pieces.

If still pliable, you should be able to lift the outer vinyl coat hook slightly out at the base and then push up. The white plastic retainer is held on by one screw.  Sometimes the white plastic coat hook retainer or the outer vinyl piece may be brittle and one or both may break.

Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply stocks repo coat hooks and retainer    http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2334

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=1863

thanks Steve, that makes sense now I will remove them they should still be in a good state to come off.

Back