Turn signal problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Having a problem with my left turn signal. When I put left turn signal on it blinks, but very dim. The wrong filament in the bulb flashes. Then with the headlights on, it doesn’t blink and the bright filament lights up solid. The signal in the car flashes correctly with the lights on or off. All other lights function properly. The bulb is a 1157 and is brand new, new light housing too. Checked the ground and everything seems good. The turn signal switch is only a year or two old. 

Could the new light be wired wrong? It only plugs in one way, so not sure what it could be.

Any help would surely be appreciated,

Thanks, John

So I just talked to the shop where my car was repaired. He also thinks that the new light housing is wired wrong. It came from NPD and they are just going to send me a new one and said to keep the bad one. Well at least I hope that’s the problem. So I will let you guys know what the outcome is when I get the new one.

So I just talked to the shop where my car was repaired. He also thinks that the new light housing is wired wrong. It came from NPD and they are just going to send me a new one and said to keep the bad one. Well at least I hope that’s the problem. So I will let you guys know what the outcome is when I get the new one.
That's your problem.  The ones from CJPP are wired incorrectly also. Even though they send you new ones, they will be wired wrong also.  I ran into this when I restored that yellow mach 1. I ended just cutting the wires and swapping them around. CJPP said they were going to contact the supplier but don't know if they ever did.

Ok, so I got a new turn signal housing from NPD today. It does the same thing, dim light with turn signal on only and when I turn the lights on with the turn signal then all I have is a solid bright light. So I tried to change the wires around but then all I got was a dim light with the lights on, which is correct but no turn signal at all. Did I switch the wrong wires? I switched the blue and the brown wires around and left the black ground wire alone. Now what. I thought for sure this was the problem. Here’s a pic of the new pigtail three wire connector. I switched the one I had, this one I didn’t touch. The black wire is the ground, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
The black wire should be the ground, but the blue wire goes to the connector that would normally be the ground, so I'm guessing the blue and black wires are switched.

Your description of the problem sounds like the kind of problem you get with bad, wrong, or missing ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
The black wire should be the ground, but the blue wire goes to the connector that would normally be the ground, so I'm guessing the blue and black wires are switched.

Your description of the problem sounds like the kind of problem you get with bad, wrong, or missing ground.
Ok, thanks Don that’s what I kinda thought after I changed it, but I went by the colors instead of the position. I’ll redo it tomorrow, that’s gotta be the issue. 

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated!

Those wire colors are fubared! The black wire should be going to the single female plug; the turn signal wire (green/white or white/blue) should be the center, and brown should be the outside male pin.

The manufacturer is color-blind and probably would accept xerox paper cut in the right size for dollar bills.

Ok, so the replacement light they sent is wired the same, which really didn’t surprise me. So what I figured out is that the blue wire is the ground and I had to switch the brown and black wire around. I had a lot of trouble with getting it to work cause I had a bad ground connection and the bulb wasn’t making that great of a connection either. Once I got those figured out then I got it all to work. What a pia, but I’m sure it’s good to go.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier.... just saw this thread again. I'm glad you got it figured out. I'm sure its the same manufacturer for all those lights regardless of who sells them. I had to do the same thing with the set I had. I'm glad you got it figured out. Only so many combinations it can be with 3 wires!! LOL Hopefully they get this straightened out in the future. Now go drive that beautiful car!!!!

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier.... just saw this thread again.  I'm glad you got it figured out.  I'm sure its the same manufacturer for all those lights regardless of who sells them. I had to do the same thing with the set I had. I'm glad you got it figured out. Only so many combinations it can be with 3 wires!! LOL  Hopefully they get this straightened out in the future. Now go drive that beautiful car!!!!
Hey no problem Kevin, I got it figured out. I just can’t believe that NPD sent me the same screwed up part. I guess they sell so much stuff they just don’t care. You would think that they would fix this situation. I’m going to let them know exactly what I think! Lol

Anyway, thanks again for the help and after I get the those wires connected and sealed up permanently, then I am going out to our local cruise in today.

I just talked to NPD and they said they had no idea these lights are screwed up. I told them I got 2 bad ones and they should check them out so no one else gets a bad one. Ya, right I’m sure they will get right on that...lol.

I just talked to NPD and they said they had no idea these lights are screwed up. I told them I got 2 bad ones and they should check them out so no one else gets a bad one. Ya, right I’m sure they will get right on that...lol.
Same thing CJPP said!

Back