Clearances and oil pressure

Thanks guys, great to have your input and will take it on board once I get my engine back

I have raised it with the machinist several times to go to the larger end of the clearances and he seems to think .0020 - .0025 is fine

I will double check it with plasti-gauge though

He reckons the thrust(end play) will be about .007 - .009 which I'm okay with

Unfortunately I don't have expensive micrometers or bore gauges so just had to go with plasti-gauge, dial gauge and feeler gauges

Was pretty anal with being clean and everything turned over smoothly

The only thing we can point to is the clearances and unfortunately my memory doesn't serve me well as to how I determined what the clearance was

I don't doubt that I blew it in this regard but I do doubt that a tight bearing clearance would result in a sudden loss of oil pressure

It's been a long anxious wait and I just want to get my vehicle back on the road again

P1030238.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always interested in what people are building and talk about on this 7173 site. I have a spare 351c engine in the garage, and I thought I'd build it up for future use for my own car. I have a daily driver, automatic, and not necessarily interested in a "racing' oriented build, however.....since I work at a performance engine shop, and can aquire various parts and services at cost, I thought I'd do a photo -journal style build up, showing shop proceedures, I.E. studding, bushing lifter bores, line bore, line hone, head work options,component choices, etc, with photos to accompany the story. I did this with my 406 Ford FE ski-boat engine build over on a boat site, and the entry got a lot of acclaim. One viewer said that he'd never built a Ford before but my article was so easy to understand, he might build one. So,...I think I'm gearing up to do this photo build up with tech. When I do, I'll post it here.Tapping-oil-galley-plug-holes-on-406.jpg

IMG-3169.jpg

I'm always interested in what people are building and talk about on this 7173 site. I have a spare 351c engine in the garage, and I thought I'd build it up for future use for my own car. I have a daily driver, automatic, and not necessarily interested in a "racing' oriented build, however.....since I work at a performance engine shop, and can aquire various parts and services at cost, I thought I'd do a photo -journal style build up, showing shop proceedures, I.E. studding, bushing lifter bores, line bore, line hone, head work options,component choices, etc, with photos to accompany the story. I did this with my 406 Ford FE ski-boat engine build over on a boat site, and the entry got a lot of acclaim. One viewer said that he'd never built a Ford before but my article was so easy to understand, he might build one. So,...I think I'm gearing up to do this photo build up with tech. When I do, I'll post it here.Tapping-oil-galley-plug-holes-on-406.jpg

IMG-3169.jpg

Can you share the link to the boat engine post? Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Tony, The site was called "Performance Boats V-drives". I haven't actually been on that site in over a year. Something happened where, all of a sudden, everyone had to re-register ( maybe someone hacked in, I don't know ) , and I never could get my new identification to work, even sent messages to the mediator, so oh well. I just tried to find the blog but no success. I still have most of the photos on my computer.