rear sway bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
How hard is it to add a rear sway bar to a car without the competition package? Is it worth the time and effort?

Thanks for looking.

I bought the 1 inch lowering grab a trac kit from mustang plus 10 years ago. It came with a rear sway bar. It mounts easily but you have to drill 1/4 inch holes through the rear frame rails for brackets. With the whole kit installed the car the car handles great. The ride is a little stiff.

yup its worth, did the same thing to mine, it didnt have one origonley i swaped the 8 to a 9" rear end and put weld on sub frame connectors with the compengenering slida-a-link traction bars no problem drilln holes and mounted right up!!remember your car is a boat anything making it handle will be a step in the right direction

I tossed on a rear sway bar kit years ago. I don't remember who makes it. I also put in some traction bars. I would recommend the traction bars big time. Not only did they eliminate wheel hop when accellerating but eliminated the wheel hop braking too. Well worth the money/effort.

Yes, sway bars work and especially if you beefed up the motor for performance. Performance and suspension go hand in hand. Addco makes aftermarket swaybars and are pretty easy to install. The rears, like machman-73's Grab-A-Track, will need to be drilled on the frame rails for the mounts. I believe if yours never came with rear sway bars, then you'll also need the brackets on the leaf spring perch for the bushing end links. CJ Pony has them part #RSBMP

20qxob4.jpg

Or OEM on ebay

65xqph.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found an old thread about the addco sway bars.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-rear-sway-bar-install?pid=2075#pid2075

In it 72HCODE says "Under full suspension compression the sway bar hardware can damage the main fuel line."

Is this still true or have they fixed the this problem?

I found another rear sway bar made by Hellwig, has anyone tried there's?

Thanks for the info guys.

I put a rear anti sway on mine, BUT ended up taking it back off because there is such a thing as being too flat in the turns and since I already had 4.5 leaf springs I found it grabbed the corners better without it.

But that may just be me, I'm a drift and punch sort of guy.

71musty and Don brings up a point that bears repeating:

ANY intended changes should be in line with your PRIMARY desires relative to the type of performance you want from your Mustang.

It is usually about COMPROMISE.

BT

I think for now I'm just going hold off on the sway bar until its finished and I start driving it. I'll just focus on getting the parts I need to finish.

I think for now I'm just going hold off on the sway bar until its finished and I start driving it. I'll just focus on getting the parts I need to finish.
Hey guys, what size would you recomend. The current rear sway bar is damn near pencil thin. Are there an bars that will swap right in. My car is not a daily drive so firm is cool with me. Thanks, Michael

The only bar that I know of that exactly replaces the existing factory rear bar is Addco PN 990. However at 7/8 inch diameter (large) it is not good match to the stock front bar. It is intended to be used with a 1 to 1 1/8 front bar. Chuck

I'm planning on 1-1/8th front and 1 inch rear. I like solid and steady around the turns. Will make up the difference in HP, tires and suspension. Too much dip tends to break tie rods. Ask me how I know.

Yeah, but it was one WILD RIDE!!!! before it happened. :p 73 Vette vs. 73 Mach 1, 3 mile road rally. I'll admit he did have superior corning ability to mine but I had the motor and gave it my best shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
If i were to replace the front with a 1 1/8 and put the 7/8 on the back, how much would it change the ride quality? My car has all new NPD suspention and front end except for sway bars. She also sits alittle high up front. I dont mide stigh but i dont want to rattle the interior loose either.

Back