Sway Bar Bushings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73QCodeMach1F

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q Code 351CJ, 4 speed manual, bright red.
2004 Mustang GT Convertible (Mach 1 Tribute)
In need of new front sway bar bushings. My front sway bar measures out to .854”. Would the 7/8” be the correct one to go with or does it need more room to get over the end in which case go with the 15/16” bushing?

Attachments

• 20230912_142236.jpeg
    20230912_142236.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 0
If you go with urethane bushings they come split so you can just pop them over the bar. If you cut the old ones off you don't need to undo the sway bar ends. If you do use the urethane ones liberally apply the grease that comes with them on the inside where the bushing contacts the bar. Aftermarket urethane bushings usually come in black or red, though you'll occasionally find other colors. I prefer them in black to retain the original appearance.

If you go with urethane bushings they come split so you can just pop them over the bar. If you cut the old ones off you don't need to undo the sway bar ends. If you do use the urethane ones liberally apply the grease that comes with them on the inside where the bushing contacts the bar. Aftermarket urethane bushings usually come in black or red, though you'll occasionally find other colors. I prefer them in black to retain the original appearance.
Okay thanks so far. Seeing how my sway bar diameter is .854, would I go for the 7/8” bushing (.875) and therefore the bracket would squish it correctly onto the sway bar? In other words do I want the measurement to be slightly over or slightly under my measurement of the bar? I’m looking at the Scott drake split rubber ones from Kentucky Mustang which I would have to get the 7/8” which would be .020 over my sway bar.

Or would I look to a different manufacture and get an available 13/16”? Which would be -.030”. This is all new to me, just want to make sure I’m getting the correct size.

Back