Ideas to coat underside of porch to keep woodpecker

tony-muscle

Hopefully someone can give me an idea here. We have a 4 seasons porch one one side of the house. A few years ago I put two layers of foam board insulation to the underside to keep the temperature under control during the winter. So what happened is that in the last two years I have had this annoying woodpecker making holes on the foam and making a mess. I have taped over the holes and the little guy picks another area to make another hole. I have no idea how to trap a woodpecker so I am wondering if I can coat/paint the underside of the foam with a coat that will be hard enough to keep the little guy away. I thought I could use some type of underbody paint. I would like it to be brown to match the wood. Any ideas?

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

1 hour ago, tony-muscle said:

Hopefully someone can give me an idea here. We have a 4 seasons porch one one side of the house. A few years ago I put two layers of foam board insulation to the underside to keep the temperature under control during the winter. So what happened is that in the last two years I have had this annoying woodpecker making holes on the foam and making a mess. I have taped over the holes and the little guy picks another area to make another hole. I have no idea how to trap a woodpecker so I am wondering if I can coat/paint the underside of the foam with a coat that will be hard enough to keep the little guy away. I thought I could use some type of underbody paint. I would like it to be brown to match the wood. Any ideas?

25 Years ago a neighbor had a horrible problem with the red headed wood peckers. I did some research for a deterrent. I found a 110v device that omitted a noise they cant stand. He bought it and NO more wood peckers. He has since moved otherwise I would give you the model #.

• Like 1

Some put rubber snakes out. Not sure it helps. Also like a predator bird dummy owl or hawk. I use the electronic repellents for mice in garage do not know if that works on birds. They do work great on mice. 

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

hang chicken wire  6 inch's off the bottom of the deck hopefully  he has a small pecker   and cant reach through to the foam  small 1x2 or 2x4 nailed to the rafter  spaced every 4 to 6 feet 

Edited by nailpounder

Thank you for all the ideas. I will start by researching electronic devices. I found some called Bird-X but they may be too powerful. I just wanted them out of a small area.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I had squirrels chewing on our pergola this summer.  Painted the area with ghost pepper salsa.  No more chewing!

kcmash

I have had this for 45 years, resealed twice and loads of critters smoked, the biggest being a Canada goose.

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/boxhead61/p/523265a1-720c-479e-b446-a9e48f4f4170][IMG]https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/boxhead61/IMG_3240%201_zpswiz1ssis.jpg[/IMG][/URL]