Ideas to coat underside of porch to keep woodpecker

tony-muscle

Site Supporters
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Hopefully someone can give me an idea here. We have a 4 seasons porch one one side of the house. A few years ago I put two layers of foam board insulation to the underside to keep the temperature under control during the winter. So what happened is that in the last two years I have had this annoying woodpecker making holes on the foam and making a mess. I have taped over the holes and the little guy picks another area to make another hole. I have no idea how to trap a woodpecker so I am wondering if I can coat/paint the underside of the foam with a coat that will be hard enough to keep the little guy away. I thought I could use some type of underbody paint. I would like it to be brown to match the wood. Any ideas?

92GTS-R

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 302 V8
Can you post a pic?

What about some sheet aluminium or UPVC sheet plastic? 

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Hopefully someone can give me an idea here. We have a 4 seasons porch one one side of the house. A few years ago I put two layers of foam board insulation to the underside to keep the temperature under control during the winter. So what happened is that in the last two years I have had this annoying woodpecker making holes on the foam and making a mess. I have taped over the holes and the little guy picks another area to make another hole. I have no idea how to trap a woodpecker so I am wondering if I can coat/paint the underside of the foam with a coat that will be hard enough to keep the little guy away. I thought I could use some type of underbody paint. I would like it to be brown to match the wood. Any ideas?
25 Years ago a neighbor had a horrible problem with the red headed wood peckers. I did some research for a deterrent. I found a 110v device that omitted a noise they cant stand. He bought it and NO more wood peckers. He has since moved otherwise I would give you the model #.

Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Some put rubber snakes out. Not sure it helps. Also like a predator bird dummy owl or hawk. I use the electronic repellents for mice in garage do not know if that works on birds. They do work great on mice. 

tony-muscle

Site Supporters
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Thank you for all the ideas. I will start by researching electronic devices. I found some called Bird-X but they may be too powerful. I just wanted them out of a small area.

kcmash

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
I had squirrels chewing on our pergola this summer.  Painted the area with ghost pepper salsa.  No more chewing!

kcmash

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
I have had this for 45 years, resealed twice and loads of critters smoked, the biggest being a Canada goose.