I finally finished something I started some time ago, in response to recent posts and questions about what, where and how components of the steering column are.

I wasn't able to find the description/sizes of some of the hardware, and if I can come up with them I'll add them later.

Fixed Column View.jpg

Tilt Column View.jpg

Edited by Don C
  • Like 2

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Good work Don. 

In the Ford 71 manual, it is a bit annoying that they show the fixed columns for several vehicle models and merely state " tilt similar", If the coupler connection is so different, that area, at least, ought to be shown, but it's not. The best example I could see is for the Lincoln Continental, but the diagram is so small, it's hard to make out. This one appears to be a bolt on coupler for the fixed column, i.e. not attached to the welded on plate as on a mustang and again states "tilt similar". So I wonder if the coupler for a Lincoln Continental is the same needed for the Mustang with tilt? Hmmm!

EDIT: A search on RockAuto for the 71-73 Lincoln Continental only shows 1 coupler, a Lares 202 with 3/4" full round 36 spline and has two pins (or posts) that would engage in a plate similar to the Mustang fixed column. It does not show any other details. So I guess that idea was a bust, sorry.

Edited by Stanglover
Added new info.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

On 2/23/2021 at 1:18 PM, MikeGriese said:

Check the AMK website for fastener specs.   You can search by Ford part number.

Thanks, Mike, they had one screw. I believe most of what's missing are things like pins and spacers.

2 screws and a washer, just missing one item now. As soon as I figure it out I'll repost.

Edited by Don C

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Very good and useful. Thank you.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Thank You !  Very helpful.

1973 Mustang convertible, F code w/ C4, stock survivor with refresh in progress. Blue glow w/ Blue Comfortweave interior.