7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande, 351C 2V, FMX, Fullly restored.
Hi,

Been just browsing this website for the last couple weeks, finally joined. My car is a 1973 Grande, Ivy Gold metallic exterior with the Avocado interior. 351C 2V, FMX TRANS., PS, PDB, A/C, AM/FM stereo. 146,000 some miles. Been in the family since 1981. I have had the car since December 2000. Was my mother's daily driver from 1981 until I got it in 2000. The 73 was having drivability issues so she bought a new 2001 Mustang and gave me the 73. Luckily it was not driven in snowy conditions much so it does have a pretty solid body and floors.

About a month ago I have started the process of rebuilding the engine and repairing what I thought was minor rust in the engine compartment. Have yet to get the engine out but have discovered extensive rust on the front frame rails behind the bumper brackets, which are also rusted out, all four fender aprons need replacement, rust out in the cowl corners by rear fender aprons plus holes by the round air intake on passenger side. Looks like a long road ahead.

100_2094.jpg

Welcome to the club from northern Nevada! You're in the right place - many have traveled the road you're on, with positive results. If you have any questions, I'm sure you'll find the answers here.

Welcome to the site from Virginia! Looks like you got yourself a nice little project. You found the right place as the members here seem to know more about these cars than ford does, and will get you on the right path to open road. Welcome aboard.

Welcome from sunny Ohio

We now have frame patches for where the bumper brackets cause frame rot.

Item #ST120SL

71-73 OUTER FRAME RAIL, FRONT LH

Front frame patch, outer section. Left hand. 34 inches. Price: $29.95

Item #ST120SR

71-73 OUTER FRAME RAIL, FRONT RH

Front frame patch, outer section. Right hand. 34 inches. Price: $29.95

Trust Don at Ohio Mustang.

Don't trust Wolverine.

You can quote me on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for the welcome!

Why can't you trust a Wolverine???

I have bought stuff from Don at Ohio Mustang in the past off his ebay store. Good guy to deal with.

Michael

Welcome from Chesapeake, VA

Welcome from sunny Ohio

We now have frame patches for where the bumper brackets cause frame rot.

Item #ST120SL

71-73 OUTER FRAME RAIL, FRONT LH

Front frame patch, outer section. Left hand. 34 inches. Price: $29.95

Item #ST120SR

71-73 OUTER FRAME RAIL, FRONT RH

Front frame patch, outer section. Right hand. 34 inches. Price: $29.95
Don,

I just recently acquired a pair of these from CJ Pony parts. These are not exact matches for the 1973. The front hole that is oblong on these should be round and have a square nut welded to it. The rear bumper bracket nut that is welded on these is in the wrong location not to mention it is too small for the 1973 bolts. These will require some modification to work. Also the 73's have an extra L shape angle welded to the front of these as well. I believe it is about 14 inches long and 3 inches high and a 1 inch lip at the bottom. See picture below. I guess I will be fabricating these pieces as well.

Michael

100_2070.jpg

Looking at pictures on here, such as yours, and knowning what I had to have done to my car I have come to the conclusion that they made these out of compressed rust.

Welcome from South Carolina. I'd love to see more pictures. I have a 73 Grande Coupe that came out of the factory with those same interior and exterior colors, mine also had an avocado vinyl roof.

P.S. You can trust Wolverine, he is a mainstay on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back