When is it time to rebuild?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
In a quandry. My 351C 2v engine has 127K miles and runs well, no smoke and decent power. Next year I want to drive it around to some out of state shows and then in 2014 want to make the 600 or so mile trip to Charlotte NC for the Mustang aniversary.

Should I get i rebuilt now with everything running good or wait until something breaks?

Any ideas on the cost of having the engine "Refreshed" including having the engine removed?

As long as you have decent compression and good oil pressure I would keep driving it. If you want to do some upgrades (performance) I would rebuild it at the same time.

i do a compression test , if shes holding good compression , i would leave her alone. they had hardened valve seats i believe for unleaded by 71. put a can of engine restore in it next oil change. and be gratefull. i do run some lucas upper cylinder lube in my older engines as the ethenol blends are [dry] protects the carb some

I had 200k miles on an original 351C 2v, Auto Trans., power steering, alternator. Never did anything but change oil/grease fittings, brakes, tires, water pump and replaced rear springs. I would drive that car anywhere, anytime and not think twice.

So did the guy who swiped it.

Agreed if it runs good and has good compression and oil pressure keep it going. Just keep changing the oil regularly, every 3k miles or once a year in the spring whichever comes first.

BTW "hardened" valve seats did not come about until the mid 70's. Don't worry about it though, the doomsday reports were WAY overblown. There is little measurable valve seat recession under "hobby" use.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW "hardened" valve seats did not come about until the mid 70's. Don't worry about it though, the doomsday reports were WAY overblown. There is little measurable valve seat recession under "hobby" use.
Of my 200k+ miles, probably 140k were on unleaded fuel. If the seats were worn, it didn't show in any leak test or pressure test that I can remember.

My personal experience was no unleaded fuel harm.

As recommended already, check your compression. If it's good,

I would look into replacing the timing chain set, (and water pump, fuel pump, harmonic balancer while your there).

Not sure about the "C" motor but the stock 351W cam sprocket was notorious to fail at about the same mileage. If that fails it can be catastrophic if you have the high compression motor. The low compression motor might just stop running, usually at a bad time!

Many mfgs (not just Ford) put in an aluminum cam sprocket in V8s that was born to fail after 100K.

I pre-emptively replaced the set on my 69 Cougar (351W) at 130K and the teeth were down to just nubs.

It sure ran better after changing it too.

The rest of the engine should last a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for the timing gear set change as part of normal wear and tear. My 69 cougar had a timing gear fail when I shut it off one night..Bent valves and push rods, major expense and PITA. A new timing gear will also cure a lot of other hard to identify problems that are often confused with a vacuum leak.

It is time to rebuild when you pull up beside the kid with the Dodge Neon tuner with a coffee can exhaust and are unable to send him home crying, with smoke and rubber in his mouth, when you romp on it. :redlogo:

Back