’71 Mach 1 Resto Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After work tonight, I measured and drilled out the holes in the decklid for the rear spoiler. I also trial fit it just to see it in place. I can't wait to install it for real. It looks good to me, I think I will leave it bolted on for inspiration, at least until I start the body work on the trunk.

Mach 1 428.jpgMach 1 431.jpgMach 1 432.jpg

First of all, it is nice to see a rear wing oriented correctly. So often I see them mounted with the thinner trailing edge facing forward, not rearward. I thing the confusion is due to how the wingtips are swept in a visually illogical direction. About half of the wings I see on the 71-73 (And sometimes earlier) rear wings are on backward. As with any air foil the thick edge always faces forward.

Anyway, I do not have the location measurements for anchor bolts for the wind pedestal. Bu, I did do a quick video showing how ours is installed, in case anyone finds it of interest. It is under my YouTube channel at:

https://youtu.be/LdDS-Rz5Rck

After work tonight, I finished up detailing my Boss valve covers, they are ready for install. I am waiting until the engine is in before I install them. I am going to install the engine with the stamped steel valve covers that were on the engine when it was dyno'd. That way I won't risk damaging the aluminum ones.

This is how they looked when I bought them

Mach 1 156a.jpg

This is tonight after a lot of cleaning and having some cracks welded up and the detailing

Mach 1 156k.jpg

They are not perfect but they look pretty good. I bought the 1970 351-4V engine ID decal (K609A) that goes on the front of the left valve cover because I can't find a reproduction of a decal for a 71 351-4V. I haven't put it on because I 'm not sure I want to put the wrong sticker on there. The only 71 decal I could find offered was for a Boss 351 (K625J), I would rather a 70 tag on a 71 than have someone think I was trying to pass my M code off as a Boss.

Last edited:
After work tonight, I finished up detailing my Boss valve covers, they are ready for install. I am waiting until the engine is in before I install them. I am going to install the engine with the stamped steel valve covers that were on the engine when it was dyno'd. That way I won't risk damaging the aluminum ones.

This is how they looked when I bought them

This is tonight after a lot of cleaning and having some cracks welded up and the detailing

They are not perfect but they look pretty good. I bought the 1970 351-4V engine ID decal (K609A) that goes on the front of the left valve cover because I can't find a reproduction of a decal for a 71 351-4V. I haven't put it on because I 'm not sure I want to put the wrong sticker on there. The only 71 decal I could find offered was for a Boss 351 (K625J), I would rather a 70 tag on a 71 than have someone think I was trying to pass my M code off as a Boss.
Since this style valve cover only came on the Boss 351 (and 302) I don't think I'd put the sticker on. Since the VCs are period-correct OTC parts, I think they have enough cool factor sans stickers. ;)

Last edited:
Since this style valve cover only came on the Boss 351 (and 302) I don't think I'd put the sticker on. Since the VCs are period-correct OTC parts, I think they have enough cool factor sans stickers. ;)
That's the direction I was leaning. I felt they looked good without the ID sticker especially considering I can't get the right one for the engine. Thanks

Tomorrow's the day that I install my engine in the car. The torque converter finally came in and then the flex plate was wrong. I got the correct flex plate today and installed it and the torque converter and joined the engine and transmission, all ready to drop in.

Mach 1 438.jpgMach 1 439.jpgMach 1 441.jpg
Mach 1 436.jpg

Tomorrow morning two of my sons and my brother and a couple of buddies are coming over to have a little engine install party. Hopefully it will be uneventful and everything will go smoothly.

It was a pretty constructive day today. We got the engine dropped in and then I installed the alternator and power steering pump and hoses belts radiator, fan and shroud. I feel like the project took a fairly good step in the right direction this weekend.

Mach 1 444.jpgMach 1 446.jpgMach 1 458.jpgMach 1 449.jpg

Once the engine was bolted in and I felt it was safe to, we swapped out the valve covers to the Boss valve covers.

Mach 1 461.jpg

Then I installed the alternator, PS pump, hoses, fan and belts

Mach 1 453.jpg

Also installed the radiator and shroud

Mach 1 452.jpgMach 1 454.jpgMach 1 456.jpg

Overall a productive day thanks to my sons , brother and friends who all donated their Sunday morning to helping me get the engine and transmission installed. :)

Last edited:
Cleaned the garage and tucked the Mustang in to the corner until next time I have time (or parts) to work on it. While I am waiting for the Aeromotive fuel tank to come off of back order, I plan to tow it out to an exhaust shop to have the exhaust done. Once the exhaust is done and the fuel tank gets here, I can install the tank and the Sniper EFI and then it will start and drive. It will have no interior, glass or doors but it will be mechanically complete-ish.

Mach 1 467.jpg

I was hesitating to call out that the block had the heater hose nipple removed and a soft plug in it's place. Your post #209 was a relief, seeing that you caught it , prior to installing the engine! Your car is really turning out great. It takes a few bucks to do everything as nice, huh?

I was hesitating to call out that the block had the heater hose nipple removed and a soft plug in it's place. Your post #209 was a relief, seeing that you caught it , prior to installing the engine! Your car is really turning out great. It takes a few bucks to do everything as nice, huh?
Oh, you noticed that, I'm not sure why the builder did that probably to run the car on the dyno. The water pump fitting had a rubber cap and clamp on it also when I first got it back. Thanks for the compliment, it is coming along so far. Yeah, it seems like everything is just a little more expensive for a Ford than the Chevy's I have restored. I am sure I will have more in it by the time the resto is done than it will be worth, but that will be my wife and son's problem if they sell it after I tip. I'm keeping it and don't care what the ROI is on this one.:)

Last edited:
Oh, you noticed that, I'm not sure why the builder did that probably to run the car on the dyno....
I was hesitating to call out that the block had the heater hose nipple removed and a soft plug in it's place....
Come'on man.... you know that heat transfer thingy is over-rated... we don't need no stinkin' hoses. :D

I worked on the front fenders some more yesterday they are coming along. The passenger side is kicking my ass it has needed a lot of metal finishing, a lot of little dents and wavy areas. It didn't have any major damage just a lot of little things adding up. I am waiting to get both ready for the first hi build primer and then spray both first prime coats on the fenders and the last coats on both doors at the same time. I started to bolt stuff back on the front of the car today. I am just trying to get the stuff I have refinished back on the car before they get scratched laying around the garage. I wanted to get something productive done this weekend. I don't plan on getting much of anything done for the next two weeks with Christmas and New Years.

Mach 1 471.jpgMach 1 473.jpg

Back