1969 Mustang -extensive rust repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
Those Gillis boys sure do excellent work. And they make it look easy.

I've watched a few of their jobs like this one progress online, and I'm very impressed.

I for one would have swept that poor car into several trash barrels for Friday morning curbside pickup.

Nooooo way do I have the talent or desire to tackle something like that!

Hi Ray,

Thanks for posting an interesting project as is this one. Plenty of good educational pics to go with too. I always admire panel beaters who have the skills and the abilities to repair a car of this deteriorated standard and bring it back to good health. Body parts availability doesn't appear to be a problem here either.:cool: Could you do all that with a 123 Mustang?:(

I must say, that when i see any vehicle that is rusted out as badly as this one was, i always have mixed feelings about the old question of to restore or throw away and use for certain parts. I can't claim to be up on accurate prices for parts replacement, labor costs and times needed, but if you would give this job to a panel shop, and get a quote for all work done, (forget trying to go DIY) wouldn't it be more cost saving or cheaper in the long run to try and find a better no rust car and work with that instead of completely rebuilding the body of that rusted out one. Maybe Scott or any panel beaters on the forum, would give good advice here on what i'm trying to fathom.

Once completed, this particular car should turn out pretty dam good, but i mean, really.:-/:-/

Oh yes, i almost forgot! Boy oh boy, buyer beware!!!

Greg.:)

Wow thats a huge job with impressive skills. Here in Aus that would be a huge dollar resto. I would guess it would go deep into $100000 here so unless it was something unique most of us would walk away and Try to find a better start. Again impressive skills set demonstrated Thanks for the links

Last edited by a moderator:
Very impressive work but I get confused about some level of panel replacement. It's pretty common to hear that a Dynacorn reproduction of a car is so much less desirable than an original yet if someone replaces all but about 50 pounds of his original with reproducing parts that car is still "real". To me it seems like some of today's restored "original" cars are really reproduction cars built piece by piece by instead of being bought as a whole new shell. People get upset at the idea of transferring a VIN tag to a Dynacorn but aren't some of the heavily resorted cars in essence the same thing? Somebody who worked on wooden boats once told me that you don't really restore a wooden boat, you build a new boat using an old one as a jig and for patterns. When you're done you have a new boat and all the pieces of the boat that was "restored" are in a big pile.

If Dynacorn included a few pieces of old metal in their cars would that make them originals???

Very impressive work but I get confused about some level of panel replacement. It's pretty common to hear that a Dynacorn reproduction of a car is so much less desirable than an original yet if someone replaces all but about 50 pounds of his original with reproducing parts that car is still "real". To me it seems like some of today's restored "original" cars are really reproduction cars built piece by piece by instead of being bought as a whole new shell. People get upset at the idea of transferring a VIN tag to a Dynacorn but aren't some of the heavily resorted cars in essence the same thing? Somebody who worked on wooden boats once told me that you don't really restore a wooden boat, you build a new boat using an old one as a jig and for patterns. When you're done you have a new boat and all the pieces of the boat that was "restored" are in a big pile.

If Dynacorn included a few pieces of old metal in their cars would that make them originals???
Fair point and a very subjective 1 for some people. I to get confused would it be original if you swapped glass and an engine and 2 or 3 minor bits. I think its a discussion for friends with beer;)

Latest posts

Back