1971 429SCJ for sale

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless of whether or not this turns out to be a true J Code Drag Pak car... $15K for the car as is may not be a bad price. Of course, pics can’t determone the true condition of the car, an inspection is necessary. But if the body is sound and mechanically good also, this could still be a nice BB 4-spd cruiser for low $$$. The passenger side floor pan shot raises some questions for me....

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with others ask for new pictures

Big thing I see is it is shiny on the outside but it is wet

Every door jamb, under hood, trunk are all crappy paint - couldn't even pop out the door jamb switches

Looks like over-spray on the drivers door panel [ might be a reflection ] tail lights painted, over-spray everywhere.

One of those paint jobs, if you left the windows open they would have painted the interior for free :whistling: 

Earl Scheib will "PAINT ANY CAR for $99.95"

Ask to see it in person and I will bet you it is a no. FYI the pics were taken in Grand Rapids, MI. Notice the Arrow Swift office supply store in the background. I agree with others. This is a scam for sure.

Take a look at the pic with the dvr side rear 1/4 panel from inside the trunk area. Looks like a skin? Painted over the tail light housings... How about the ram air hood plenum? Looks like it was left on the car when re-sprayed and you can see evidence of the over spray on the edge of the plenum as well as inside the plenum area. I know mostly a re saying scam... we will  not know for sure until someone see's the car in person...

If you cannot go look at it then a scam. cheap airline tickets are sometimes $50 each way with not bags. Baggage is where they make money.

Question for those in the know. I see both mounts for the spare tire and it is not a fold down. If you got Magnums did you not get Space Saver Spare also? Might be why both in there or just a Ford screw up.

If you cannot go look at it then a scam. cheap airline tickets are sometimes $50 each way with not bags. Baggage is where they make money.

Question for those in the know. I see both mounts for the spare tire and it is not a fold down. If you got Magnums did you not get Space Saver Spare also? Might be why both in there or just a Ford screw up.
Better safe then sorry... Cheap air line tickets? I wanted to go down to Daytona Beach (Orlando) from Buffalo at the last minute to look at the '73 Q Code I bought... $600US return on Southwest. Almost a grand in Cdn funny money... Could not find the $50 deal that day LOL.

Thanks for all the help guys, y'all are good.

I am sensing scam for sure. I'll see what if anything comes back from the seller this week. If I think there is a chance it is real I will go take a look at it. I fly for free so getting there and back is super easy. If real I don't think it would take much to clean it up, make it right.

I'm not sure if I could tell if the car is pieced back together from a donor car or not, or whether I can identify repairs such as a new front clip, replaced body panels etc.

I agree that it had a cheap repaint, over spray in a lot of areas; but for 15k, there is money left over to correct that.

If this is just a clone, i wish it was advertised as such. It should be a crime to misrepresent a car like this. It could end up a real nice clone with some TLC, but I don't think I'd want my money wrapped up in it. It would be easier to buy a nice correct car.

If this is just a clone, i wish it was advertised as such.  It should be a crime to misrepresent a car like this.  It could end up a real nice clone with some TLC, but I don't think I'd want my money wrapped up in it.  It would be easier to buy a nice correct car.
I don't mind clones, as you say, as long as they honest about it. Some clones detailed by real lovers of what they are making, are done with more engineering precision than what came out of the factory. With what is being discovered here I'd say this might want more rework doing to it than meets the eye.

I spoke with the owner of Classic Car Garage in Greenville, Michigan a little bit ago. Those pics being used by the scammer are from when they had the car listed on eBay. He said it was sold to a person in Texas for $40K (he was going from memory), and the person had it shipped there for a restoration. He said it was a original survivor car, including the paint. As you know in these cases I'm sure sections were touched up over the past 48 years for various reasons. I am only the messenger and I have no other information as he had to go out on some errands. But you can save your money for the Alabama airline tickets because there is no car there to purchase. I'd still recommend playing around with the scammer a little longer. Ask him for those pics of the VIN on the door tag or dash, or a new pic of him with the car holding the title. :)

I spoke with the owner of Classic Car Garage in Greenville, Michigan a little bit ago.  Those pics being used by the scammer are from when they had the car listed on eBay.  He said it was sold to a person in Texas for $40K (he was going from memory), and the person had it shipped there for a restoration.  He said it was a original survivor car, including the paint.  As you know in these cases I'm sure sections were touched up over the past 48 years for various reasons.  I am only the messenger and I have no other information as he had to go out on some errands.  But you can save your money for the Alabama airline tickets because there is no car there to purchase.  I'd still recommend playing around with the scammer a little longer.  Ask him for those pics of the VIN on the door tag or dash, or a new pic of him with the car holding the title.  :)
Great investigative work Don!

As you recall, you're the one who helped me identify the scam I fell for, but luckily Ebay got me all my money back. I said it on that post, and I'll say it again, Ebay is the only site out there that offers any kind of protection, but you have to conform to every single rule and stipulation that Ebay lays down when you buy a car off their site in order to get that protection. Make sure to do all your correspondence through the Ebay messaging system.

If you suspect it is a scam, contact Ebay and tell them your concerns. They can very easily identify a scam on their end before you wire money after a sale. They can make sure the user ID matches the information of the person posting the ad. Most times these are Ebay users whose accounts are hacked. In the example of the link about my experience that Don posted, these scammers are getting very good at photoshopping pictures, and many times are operating from a foreign country. 

Good luck, and be careful out there!

Back