1971 Factory Tach - How much $$$

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
I am looking to purchase a working factory tach in good, clean condition for my 71 convertible. Can anyone guide me on how much I should expect to pay for one? I am only talking about the tach itself, not the entire cluster. I have seen prices all over the map so I'm not sure what a fair price is.

Thanks.

I generally pay up to $100 for one as long as the case is intact, the pointer is all there (many are snapped off or short) and the face isn't pitted or rusted. I don't care if they work or not since the Faria built tachs were garbage in 1971 and have not gotten better with age. Most have dried out and fallen apart inside and are not repairable so I just convert them without testing.

Besides the main and engine harnesses you will need Midlife to create a cluster harness. The tach and non tach clusters have many wiring differences so you will need to address those.

If your car does not have the center stack (Oil, Temp, Amps) gauges you will need those since the tach has high beam and Brake system lights only.

You will also end up with two high beam indicators unless you switch to a tach speedometer with trip, in which case you will need a new lens.

It's doable, but it's not an easy swap. If it was easy everyone would do it. And I wouldn't sell non tach tachs. ;)

I generally pay up to $100 for one as long as the case is intact, the pointer is all there (many are snapped off or short) and the face isn't pitted or rusted. I don't care if they work or not since the Faria built tachs were garbage in 1971 and have not gotten better with age. Most have dried out and fallen apart inside and are not repairable so I just convert them without testing.

Besides the main and engine harnesses you will need Midlife to create a cluster harness. The tach and non tach clusters have many wiring differences so you will need to address those.

If your car does not have the center stack (Oil, Temp, Amps) gauges you will need those since the tach has high beam and Brake system lights only.

You will also end up with two high beam indicators unless you switch to a tach speedometer with trip, in which case you will need a new lens.

It's doable, but it's not an easy swap. If it was easy everyone would do it. And I wouldn't sell non tach tachs. ;)
Thanks for the info TheRktmn. So if you convert a tach, does it still work with the factory (or converted) harness or is a different setup needed?

It becomes a modern '3 wire' tach so it is no longer part of the primary circuit. The third wire goes to the distributor side of the coil or ignition box tach output.
If you opt for a converted factory tach or to have your warning light assembly converted into a tach Midlife can include the wiring in your harness.

You can find a 7123 tach dash cluster on eBay for anywhere from $4-800. Earlier Mustangs run $1000+. Rocketman's conversion along with my wiring is probably your cheapest route, about $500 in total, give or take.

Back