1971 Grande Concourse Restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work Pegleg! You are putting alot of time, effort, and money into this. Sorry I had to add the money part, but it is a reality. If you would like to see what a single exhaust looks like here is my car as an example. Also, I noted you had the center section in black on the rear axle. For concourse that should be red oxide. Not sure if you have revised your plans from concourse over time. It happens, just wanted to help id still going down that path.

free image hosting

Great work Pegleg!  You are putting alot of time, effort, and money into this.  Sorry I had to add the money part, but it is a reality.  If you would like to see what a single exhaust looks like here is my car as an example.  Also, I noted you had the center section in black on the rear axle.  For concourse that should be red oxide.  Not sure if you have revised your plans from concourse over time.  It happens, just wanted to help id still going down that path.

free image hosting
Thank You for your feedback. The other thing i noticed on your car is the spring perches are grey or silver and not black. I am trying to stay true to original but as you know origial parts/NOS are expensive. Where i can restore i am. Where there is repop that looks same i will use. The judging here in UK is nowhere near the standard you guys have to come up to. I will make changes based on your pictures now i have a true reference to work with ::thumb::   How did you get the right shade for those painted stripes yellow, green, pink, red?

Yes, the spring perches are "natural" steel. Basically from the factory they were bare steel. Mustang Club of America rules allow for a painted finish to duplicate the factory finishes. The painted finish is to allow you to fend off the rust and corrosion a bare steel part would experience. I am fortunate that I located my build sheet 30+ years ago when I was a teenager and this being my first car. I saved that and it has the codes for the paint colors on the driveshaft. If you are careful cleaning your drive shaft with mineral spirits you may be able to locate the color stripes on yours. If you car is a 351 V 2V (H Code) with an automatic (FMX) and a 9" rear you will probably have the same paint codes. I will help out any way I can to help you reach your goal. If you have not already printed the rules out from the attached post in the Concourse category you may want to. It will help you towards your concourse goal.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-71-73-2019-mca-judging-rules

Its been a productive day today. I got some of roof trim de-glued. What a PITA that job was. It had been baked in Arizona for 45 years. The wire brush needed plenty of elbow grease. Used a stainless steel scourer and then triple zero wire wool. Where the glue came away the zinc plating came away. The parts are ready to be zinc plated just as soon as i find a bath to accomodate the parts. I also got one of the spring plates polished up after using zinc bath. Final part to get prep for zinc bath was the plate the dash screws to

double 6 dice

sarfaroshi ki tamanna lyrics

The 2 pieces of roof trim with jagged pieces i left till last. They are going to be a massive PITA and no doubt i am going to end up with chunks missing from my fingers by the end of the process

I have plated all 5 brackets with zinc to give them another 50 years protection

aluminium oxide ceramic

The 3 A/C brackets have been sprayed black

With a BIG Thank You to BKDHUNA i sprayed the spring perches the correct metal grey.

Now working on plating the long bracket that the dashpad screws on to

When I see the red relaxing bed, I see you were literally serious about giving them a massage :)

I can't even remember seen one of these for decades, but I bet this got to be the nicest one!

I'm starting to get plating envy guys, and i never even thought I would even consider it! But i think its the way to go to truly prevent the dreaded rust coming back and to ensure longevity of the parts. Now to do the research !

I'm starting to get plating envy guys, and i never even thought I would even consider it! But i think its the way to go to truly prevent the dreaded rust coming back and to ensure longevity of the parts. Now to do the research !
Definately worthwhile learning a new skill. The process from de-rust to plate is quite simple in theory but does require some effort and thinking outside the box. I was lured into the plating world by Fabrice. I never thought i would consider it either but i have enjoyed the learning process that just keeps on asking questions with differant shaped parts.

Steve, what size metal for the zinc and nickel plating anodes should i get from ebay ? I will be doing a lot of plating and the prices are quite dear so want to make sure i order the right amount

Steve, what size metal for the zinc and nickel plating anodes should i get from ebay ? I will be doing a lot of plating and the prices are quite dear so want to make sure i order the right amount
Baz sorry for the delay. I havent been around.

I originally bought from ebay but was advised to use zinc sheets as its easier to bend into whatever shape you need for the part your working with. I ended up buying 1.2mm thick sheet from this company https://www.metaloffcuts.co.uk/  I bought a sheet 1000mm x 250mm.

What a absolute PITA door hinges are to fit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never want to fit new door hinges again.

Having never done this before i definately underestimated how how heavy the doors are. Trying to lift a door with all the glass and fittings still attached and trying to balance with one leg and a prosthetic is definately one of the toughest jobs i have tacled on the car. The lines arent perfect but my sprayer will be sorting that out on Monday.

The next few weeks will be hectic stripping the car and FINALLY getting the paint stripped ready for paint. I am going to tackle in 2 stages. Main body plus doors 1st stage. deck lid, fenders and hood second stage. My thinking is once the body and doors are done i can do the interior.

Lots and lots of electrolysis and zinc plating to do over the coming weeks.

Todays contribution to restoring the car. The 2 long strips that fit behind the headliner have been de-rusted with electrolysis and then zinc plated. The metal dash end plate has been paint stripped and sanded. Its ready to go in the de-rust sauce tomorrow. The shortest 2 strips that fit behind the headliner will sit in the de-rust sauce overnight.

what insurance companies cover rebuilt titles

What a lot of bling bling done already Steve!! :)

You done the long ones in rain gutter? How long are they? 80 cm?
They are 84cm long. I tried the rain guttering first with de-rust but it was not deep enough so i used the tub below that i used to spray parts. Its a very large tub but i had it leant against the wall and only used around 3 litres of vinegar. I now need to find a longer tub to fit the roof bows in. I havent measured the roof bows but i reckon they are around 1 metre long. Thats for another day soon. The headliner will be the second job after the vinyl roof is fitted.

Time to think outside the box :D 

2013 porsche cayenne 0 60

Today i went from the longest 2 strips to the shortest 2 strips behind the headliner. They spent the night in electrolysis bath and today they was zinc plated

The metal dash end plate is in the electrolysis bath tonight

Who would have imagined how satifying this job turned out to be. I recommend plating to everyone

The last couple of days i managed to de-rust and zinc plate another strip from behind the headliner and the metal side panel on the dash. The last of the six strips from behind the headliner is in de-rust bath and will be zinc plated tomorrow and hopefully all the small bolts that fix the strips in place

I originally bought from ebay but was advised to use zinc sheets as its easier to bend into whatever shape you need for the part your working with. I ended up buying 1.2mm thick sheet from this company https://www.metaloffcuts.co.uk/  I bought a sheet 1000mm x 250mm.
thanks Steve,. i will check them out. Also how are you derusting the items and what product are you using ? does it take the existing plating off ? thanks.

thanks Steve,. i will check them out. Also how are you derusting the items and what product are you using ? does it take the existing plating off ? thanks.
The existing plating gets a layer on it from oxidization so i use triple zero wire wool to take that off. Some parts are stubborn so end up with no zinc layer on the metal in parts. Its does not matter if you leave old zinc plate on as long as your part is smooth. If anything the old layer is a plus as there is no chance of flash rust happening.

For de-rust bath its 3 tablespoons of washing soda and a teaspoon of Epsom salts added to 10 lires of water. Doing it this way means its enviromentally friendly and you can pour the water down the drain once you done with it. You will also need a aquarium heater to keep the water at 20 degrees.

For zinc plating its white vinegar with a teaspoon of Epsom salts added. Again use a aquarium heater at 20 degrees

Back