1971 Mach 1 429 CJ 4 speed Resto

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contact Ram Clutches on the phone to see if they can fix you up with a "Long style" pressure plate and disc. They have always built what I asked them for. Great clutches in my opinion. Chuck

EDIT: If the flywheel is drilled for 11.5 and 11.0 A quality long style 11.0 will work. If you have the original 11.5 parts Ram or someone else may rebuild and upgrade it for you.

Chuck

Contact Ram Clutches on the phone to see if they can fix you up with a "Long style" pressure plate and disc. They have always built what I asked them for. Great clutches in my opinion. Chuck

EDIT: If the flywheel is drilled for 11.5 and 11.0 A quality long style 11.0 will work. If you have the original 11.5 parts Ram or someone else may rebuild and upgrade it for you.

Chuck
Chuck. Thank you for directing me to RAM clutches. I believe I have found what I was looking for. My pressure plate was "B" quality so it was for the larger input shaft diameter. They have a 12" long style pressure plate that is for the larger input shaft. It should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again. -Jim

Finally got the clutch issue beat. The correct clutch kit for the 1971 Mach 1 429CJ 4 speed with the large input diameter is a Ram clutch part number RAM-88883. 12" inch pressure plate long style. Thanks again to Chuck for pointing me in the Ram clutch direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok.. the next battle has begun. The original owner (ridiculously) changed the carburetor from the Rochester to a Holley. Luckily he hung on to the original carburetor. Unfortunately he lost the choke set up that bolts to the intake manifold. I've been calling around all day and have had no luck locating one. I have to call Perogie and OMS tomorrow. I believe they call it a "choke stove" or "divorce choke" set up for the original Quadrajet carb that I have. Anyone know where I can get one or maybe someone has one hoarded away that they would be willing to sell?

Ok.. the next battle has begun. The original owner (ridiculously) changed the carburetor from the Rochester to a Holley. Luckily he hung on to the original carburetor. Unfortunately he lost the choke set up that bolts to the intake manifold. I've been calling around all day and have had no luck locating one. I have to call Perogie and OMS tomorrow. I believe they call it a "choke stove" or "divorce choke" set up for the original Quadrajet carb that I have. Anyone know where I can get one or maybe someone has one hoarded away that they would be willing to sell?
After checking eBay, Perogie, Mustang Masters, Mustangs Unlimited, Ohio Mustang, Kentucky mustang, and every other place I could think of I could not locate this choke stove. So… I started looking for people selling the 429CJ Mustang intake manifold. After a couple days of sending questions to people I found a guy on Craigslist who had one. He had taken it off the manifold he was selling and was planning on throwing it out because he had no idea what it was. Part saved and put back on its original set up!

IMG95201504119508064295388.jpg

Here's a before and after picture of the engine bay. The original (and only) owner got a little crazy in this engine bay when he was in his early 20's. It took a lot of time and detail to get it looking like it does. Credit to the 429 mustang cougar megasite because without that it would have taken me a lot longer to get things looking right. I have the ram air set up almost ready to go on. This is the current progress.

01212_EPqFpVxGfG_600x450[1].jpg

20150414_115109.jpg

Just finished painting. Pretty happy with the result. Still needs final buffing and finish work. Finished in the original dark green metallic with the two tone argent.

20150517_143724.jpg

20150517_143733.jpg

20150517_143755.jpg

That color looks great on that car. I don't know what it is about yours... but I've never liked that color on any other car. True to its era.

Can anyone that has a 429 CJ ram air mustang confirm the length of the snorkel? I'm thought I had an original one here but it stops directly over the passenger side valve cover and does not allow me to hook up the hot air duct hose. I think it's the wrong snorkel. I went on the 429 megasite but there's no information on length. Any help would be appreciated!

Well I figured since I have started the rebuild on my 429 CJ car I would post some interesting photos. The car is a one owner, 47,000 original documented mileage car. The car is currently down to the metal and will be in primer by the end of February. Today we tore the block down as we plan to freshen it up with new seals/gaskets and the like. I am going to have the original water pump sent out for rebuild this week also. Check out these interesting markings on the block that I found as we tore it apart. This is the first time this motor has been apart so these markings had to have come right from the factory. Pretty neat.
:coolphotos::goodpost:::thumb::If you have the money, ever thought on farming it out to something like the Shelby Farm in Texas to convert that 429 into an R code(if...may be wrong in thinking 429's came w/hydraulic lifters and the Boss 429 w/solid lifters, then an intercooled bi-turbo-7 or 8 speed w/turbo clutch and......? For the ultimate

Can anyone that has a 429 CJ ram air mustang confirm the length of the snorkel? I'm thought I had an original one here but it stops directly over the passenger side valve cover and does not allow me to hook up the hot air duct hose. I think it's the wrong snorkel. I went on the 429 megasite but there's no information on length. Any help would be appreciated!
I found this, it may or may not be helpful. Chuck

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/d0gy-9a626-a.html?attribs=87

Never seen one that can be used w/a ram air kit. thought it had t hose that attaches straight downward?

Well… I know it's been awhile. Here are some photos I took today of the car pretty much done. I have a couple odds and ends left to straighten out but this is the culmination of about a year and a half of work on this car. I am still trying to locate a correct length snorkel so I can hook up the hot air hose. Other than that its a wrap. Enjoy the photos, let me know what you think. (THAT MILEAGE IS ORIGINAL!)

Well… I know it's been awhile. Here are some photos I took today of the car pretty much done. I have a couple odds and ends left to straighten out but this is the culmination of about a year and a half of work on this car. I am still trying to locate a correct length snorkel so I can hook up the hot air hose. Other than that its a wrap. Enjoy the photos, let me know what you think. (THAT MILEAGE IS ORIGINAL!)
Interior is all original too.

Never seen one that can be used w/a ram air kit. thought it had t hose that attaches straight downward?

The Ram Air / plenum unit hooks up directly with the air cleaner. The Snorkel does have an opening at the bottom where it hooks up with the exhaust port from the side of the motor. The hot air duct hose connects those two.

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back