1972 R code (not) convertible for sale Michigan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray, a lot of things don't look right here. Front and rear bumpers, and wheels scream 73. You can see the 1973 only 17C837-8 fillers between the body and the rear bumper. Seller states vin as "R" (351 HO) but ad headlines as Boss 302 convertible. Defiantly not a 351C under the hood. C6's were never offered behind any G or R engines. A lot of people will claim a friend of a friend, who's mothers uncle knew a cousin who knew "Someone" at Ford that got a (fill in the blank) built just for them. A lot of special things were built for executives at Ford. But a 72-3 Boss 302 would not of been emissions compliant and would not of been something Ford would of tried to get past the EPA people. (The 72 351 4bl Ram Air fiasco was still fresh on everyone's minds) The C9OF-R is not a Boss carburetor. All the D1ZE numbers are good Boss 302 service part numbers. Someone certainly could have installed a Boss 302 service crate engine, but unless ALOT of documentation exists, MCA would tear them a new one! Still a nice looking car. But at $14,000.00 would need a lot more info than ad provided!

Yeah Steve. I'm with ya. I was wondering if that cowl emissions sticker might help sort this out.

This might be a mess. 72 vin on a 73? Hope not.

Ray

Sadly my suspicion is now confirmed! :mad:

1972 R code emission sticker cowl.JPG

BUYERS BEWARE! From what little information is available I would say this is not a 1972 R code convertible!!!!!!!!

Maybe just a VIN swap!

I wish someone would go check this out and document the heck out of it!!!

Ray

A '73 with some form of 302 ci that may have been rebadged... I'll buy that!

I just sent the guy an email. If he replies back, I will go look at it.

BUYERS BEWARE! From what little information is available I would say this is not a 1972 R code convertible!!!!!!!!

Maybe just a VIN swap!

Ray

:thankyouyellow:

I just sent the guy an email. If he replies back, I will go look at it.

Maybe just a VIN swap!

Ray

I'd say with certainty those are 73 front and rear bumpers with as stated above 73 filler panels. I'm betting a seller who doesn't know what he has. Or believes something someone told them. Also note rear antenna.

Saw a R code vert on ebay about 12 years ago verified by VIN. It was blue with white interior. No drivetrain. Was a solid project. Came up for sale 1 day after I bought my 72 R sportsroof. Would've loved to have that!! Anybody know of one that exists?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! What a thread and story! I wonder if one of those blue R code verts was the one I saw? I would have to agree with a few of the members, diversity is a better collection of mustangs. I have one from every early generation.

Thank you for the info![/align]

Again, I'm seeing a total restomod job here - and not a "Day Two" job like mine. The car is obviously not the rumored rare pony as initially presented by the seller, so here's what I'd do: offer the guy $7500 (up to maybe $8500, depending on how it runs and overall condition), take it home, tear it down, and have a blast turning that thing into a bad-ass modernized 'vert.

I'm not optimistic for the car being in Michigan, though - it's probably quite rusty down low. Might even get lucky and only have to lay out $5500 to play.

Back