1972 Sportsroof Mach1 rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownenHouse

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Sportsroof
We just picked up a 1972 Mach 1 in a box. It has been taken down to the frame, body work is done, now we are going to put it together šŸ˜³ one day at a time. Figure it will take 4 years???

We just picked up a 1972 Mach 1 in a box. It has been taken down to the frame, body work is done, now we are going to put it together šŸ˜³ one day at a time. Figure it will take 4 years???
Been there

Do yourself a favor and try to stitch weld all along the body inside and under hood.

It makes the chassis so much stiffer.

Even the platinum flux welder from harbor freight will do it

Stitch welding and adding subframe connectors I lift the entire side of the car when I jack from the front

Been there

Do yourself a favor and try to stitch weld all along the body inside and under hood.

Stitch welding and adding subframe connectors I lift the entire side of the car when I jack from the front
Interesting to note the 69-70 Boss 302 Chassis Modification Manual also recommended stitch welding or brazing and reinforcement in the shock tower area.

Been there

Do you have pics of the stitch weld locations (post weld)

Do you have pics of the stitch weld locations (post weld)
Only ones I could find

Wherever you see two pieces of metal and just spot welds, weld the seams.

Make sure your car is on jack stands and level or you can induce twist into the chassis.

Attachments

• IMG_5115.jpeg
    IMG_5115.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5116.jpeg
    IMG_5116.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Only ones I could find

Wherever you see two pieces of metal and just spot welds, weld the seams.

Make sure your car is on jack stands and level or you can induce twist into the chassis.
Nice. Good to know. I have a forney wire welder , and also the good ole Lincoln 225.

Nice. Good to know. I have a forney wire welder , and also the good ole Lincoln 225.
I started with a hf flux 125 converted to DC flux

At some point upgraded to the hf titanium flux 125. Worked way better.

Get a copper backer plate to back up the welds if you find thin metal. It will help you not to burn holes.

I started with the door sills were the carpet clips on then went overboard

Car had been wrecked before I got it. Lots of spot welds were broken from it being on a frame machine.

Back