1973 Mach 1 Fastback Sport roof fold down seat assembly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techgurl

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
351 Cleveland, 4 speed
Mileage: 60,023 miles
Anyone have any suggestions on where I might find a fold down seat assembly kit for 73 Mach 1? I have found some online but they don’t say they are for the 1973. Would another year fit just as well?

Thank you for all the help

71, 72, and 73 are all the same. Converting to a fold down is NOT simply a bolt in conversion. There are numerous welded in backets etc. unique to fold downs that are not there on non fold down Mach 1s. The standard seat back and package tray welded in supports must be removed, prior to welding in many of the fold down unique brackets. A donor Mach 1 with the factory fold down should have all the unique brackets. The fold down also uses a space saver spare tire. Full size won't fit in the trunk with the fold down set up.

it originally came with the fold down seat up when my father took the car to be restored back in 1999 the garage stripped the car and most likely sold the original seat

The seat back cushion and seat bottom cushion for the fold down are the same as non fold down Mach 1s/ sports roofs. Two types of upholstery, standard or the optional Mach 1 sports interior. Coupes and convertibles use different cushions than Mach 1s / Sports roofs.
I have various fold down parts, seat hinge set, seat back latch, trap door feet and complete sets of chrome trim (would need dechroming for a show car) if you need any of these. Also have a seat back cushion with black Mach 1 sports interior upholstery.

it originally came with the fold down seat up when my father took the car to be restored back in 1999 the garage stripped the car and most likely sold the original seat
I hope your Dad was able to have them arrested. Or perhaps they "left town" and were never seen again. Chuck

I hope your Dad was able to have them arrested. Or perhaps they "left town" and were never seen again. Chuck

We tried legal options but we just got letters stating they did all they could do. Took us two years to get the car back. It was in a storage place and they got rid of a lot parts because the storage rent wasn’t paid. I still have all the paperwork from it. Then unfortunately my Father had a heart attack and stopped fighting. He passed away 7 years later. Now I am finally at a point where I can start working on it.

What a terrible story. Probably happens around the US more than we know about. I am also located in PA and I hope I never come across that restoration shop. Guessing they're out of business by now. At least since your car was originally equipped with the fold down seat option it might not be too much of an ordeal for you to put it back in place.

What a terrible story. Probably happens around the US more than we know about. I am also located in PA and I hope I never come across that restoration shop. Guessing they're out of business by now. At least since your car was originally equipped with the fold down seat option it might not be too much of an ordeal for you to put it back in place.
I’m having a hard time finding one. They closed the shop, owner moved away and has since passed away

Latest posts

Back