1973 Mach 1 FB Marketplace barn find

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that when it was first posted a couple weeks back. There was a bunch of discussion on a FB group - mostly centering around whether or not it was a Mach1 because it only had a 302 and sported the flat hood.

I saw that when it was first posted a couple weeks back. There was a bunch of discussion on a FB group - mostly centering around whether or not it was a Mach1 because it only had a 302 and sported the flat hood.
I was trying to leave work early on Tuesday or Wednesday to drive up there and look at it. She had other cars that were already sold and 1968 Falcon still under car covers. She sent me some supporting documents. Can you tell by VIN? She did not have a Marti report but I saw one thing that appealed to me.. “Competition suspension”. Anyway I was very interested in seeing it and if it had staggered shocks and rear stabilizer bar.. possibly variable ratio steering gear.... I know from the pictures that the steering wheel was changed. She knew things but not a lot. I was hoping that the “rimblow” wheel was not gone. I am disappointed that I didn’t get there in time. Take a look at the VIN and see what you think?

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0557.jpeg
    IMG_0557.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0556.jpeg
    IMG_0556.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 0
I thought the flat hood and 302 were the bare minimum that came with the mach1 package in 73. You could get the nasa hood if you wanted, but it wasn't the default.

Otherwise, somebody would have put some money into adding the mach1 grille and black headlight buckets and the stripes to a base model, but never did the hood.

IMO, it doesn't make much difference between a mach1 and a fastback. They're the same car. And I'm pretty sure the base fastback is more rare. :D

I sure wish I had found this car when she first posted it. It would have been a great stablemate for my Sportsroof. I got a headache trying to figure out where I was going to store it.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Sorry if I wasn't clear, it is a Mach 1.

3 - 1973
F - Dearborn assembly
05 - Mach 1 sportsroof
F - 302-2V engine
132712 - 32,712th Mustang serialized at Dearborn.

Not a lot of people realize that the 71-73 Mach 1 came with the 302 as the base engine and a flat hood unless otherwise optioned. The NASA hood was a no-cost option for the 302 Mach. If you ordered a 351-2V or any of the other upgraded engines, it was automatically included.

A Mach 1 featured Competition Suspension as part of it's standard equipment. For the 302-2V and 351-2V engines, that included uprated springs and shocks, plus the variable ratio steering box if PS equipped. The rear sway bar and staggered shocks were only intended to be installed on cars with 4V engines. There is at least one member here with a 351-2V car that has factory staggered shocks.

Back