1973 Mustang Production Info - Part 2 (Options)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
In continuing my research into the 1973 Mustang Marti reports on this site, I have found the following information on some options that were available in 1973. Option percentages listed below are normalized for model types (like rear spoiler options only apply to fastbacks). Some of these are surprising to me:

Console: 70% (10 verts, 2 sportsroof, 4 Grande, 22 Mach 1)

Tinted Glass: 68%

Air Conditioning: 65% (9 verts, 3 sportsroof, 3 Grande, 18 Mach 1)

Vinyl Roof: 35%

Rear Defrost: 22% ( 1 sportsroof, 3 Grande, 5 Mach 1)

Tutone Hood: 22% (1 vert, 11 Mach 1)

Aluminum Wheels: 20% (2 verts, 9 Mach 1)

Power Windows: 18% (5 verts, 1 Grande, 4 Mach 1)

Rear Spoiler: 15% (All Mach 1)

Door Edge Guards: 13%

Intermittent Wipers: 11% (2 verts, 1 Grande, 3 Mach 1)

Rim Blow Wheel: 11% (1 vert, 1 sportsroof, 1 Grande, 3 Mach 1)

Tilt Wheel: 9% (2 verts, 2 Grande, 1 Mach 1)

Leather Wrapped Wheel: 9% (2 verts, 3 Mach 1)

Radios:

- AM: 46%

- AM/FM: 29%

- AM 8 Track: 15%

- None: 10%

It surprises me that so few cars had tutone hoods and rear spoilers. It is also surprising how many cars here have consoles and air conditioning. Not sure how the 73's we have here on this site compare to the overall population of 73's produced but I believe we have a representative data set for the most part. I saw no Ram Air option in any of the Marti reports I looked at for 1973. For those owners that do not have Marti reports yet please consider getting one and posting here. If you have a Marti and haven't posted it, take the time to do that. There is a wealth of information out there.

I have further option breakdowns if anyone is interested in specific combinations.

Nice work. Since I am a 73 vert owner this is interesting. These options where on my car.

Console

Tinted Glass

Air Conditioning

Tutone Hood:

Aluminum Wheels

Power Windows

Intermittent Wipers

Wrapped Wheel

Tilt

Radios AM/FM

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work. Since I am a 73 vert owner this is interesting. These options where on my car.

Console

Tinted Glass

Air Conditioning

Tutone Hood:

Aluminum Wheels

Power Windows

Intermittent Wipers

Wrapped Wheel

Tilt

Radios AM/FM

John J
Can you take a couple pictures of your Tilt wheel column? I did not know that was option. Wish I could find one and retrofit my car. I am 6'5" tall and I wonder if I had tilt and put it up a little if it would help. Or, if you have a 6'4" or 6'5" friend put him in it and see how he does lol!

I will have to check I have two 73 verts and 73 Mach1 I think I out the Marti up. Did not have one for the Mach because I ordered it new and had all the paper trail but had so many question the authenticity I got the simple Marti.

You do know that every 73 had a console either short or long that was the only ash tray, lol.

One of my verts is a special order paint car and it came with no radio, lol. That was what made it a one of one. Sort of silly to pay for that every mustang made can be boiled down one way or another to be a one of one.

David

I will have to check I have two 73 verts and 73 Mach1 I think I out the Marti up. Did not have one for the Mach because I ordered it new and had all the paper trail but had so many question the authenticity I got the simple Marti.

You do know that every 73 had a console either short or long that was the only ash tray, lol.

One of my verts is a special order paint car and it came with no radio, lol. That was what made it a one of one. Sort of silly to pay for that every mustang made can be boiled down one way or another to be a one of one.

David
David,

Yeah I know all of the cars came with at least a short console but the short consoles were not listed as options on the Marti. When you see "console" on the Marti report it is referencing the optional long console and that's what my percentages are based on.

Great work.

Ray
Thanks Ray! I will be getting to the 72s and 71s soon.

Console

Tinted Glass

Air Conditioning

Tutone Hood:

Aluminum Wheels

Power Windows

Intermittent Wipers

Wrapped Wheel

Tilt

Radios AM/FM

John J
Can you take a couple pictures of your Tilt wheel column? I did not know that was option. Wish I could find one and retrofit my car. I am 6'5" tall and I wonder if I had tilt and put it up a little if it would help. Or, if you have a 6'4" or 6'5" friend put him in it and see how he does lol!

I am 6' 3" myself. I purchased a tilt column from Don at Ohio Mustang for my 4 speed car. I have not installed it yet but I had one in my 73 Mach 1 back in high school. It provides a lot more room. Looking forward to getting this one installed.

NICE WORK STEVE!

Some time went into your work thank you!

Paul
Thanks Paul. Now on to the other years! I think the 71s will be the most difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be interested in seeing the difference between total production percentages of options and what is currently registered on this site. I've always leaned toward the idea that most cars that have survived were the ones that were more optioned (i.e. "special") since the theory is they would have been 'babied' more often than not.

For the past 20 years I've found it very rare to find any 6-cylinder 3-speed manual base models of any 71 - 73 year at a cruise or show. On the other hand I'm pretty much in a 'Rust Belt' region where its rare to see a lot of locally owned since new 71 - 73 models as it is....

Back