1973 Q-Code Mach 1 Restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a friend rebuilt the carb for me. Hoping after a fresh rebuild it'll idle right for us. Also found out that the carb is only a 600 not a 650 when running the list number for a rebuild kit. I've got a Holley 750 dual feed with an electric choke on the top of my Christmas list haha.

Robin is my dad, if you didn't realize. He wants me to get another one that says "Bryce's 73 Mach 1" but I think putting this one on it will be a nice touch and he would really enjoy it. Gonna take it and get it professionally buffed and polished and get the letters/ponies repainted.

The license plate frame is cool. I have a set of little license plate reflector bolts that my dad had on his Mach 1 when I was growing up that I am going to put on mine one day as a little tribute to him. They wont mean anything to anyone except me but I will know what they are for and where they came from.

That's awesome and a nice gesture.

Mine came with a frame that has "Let's Do It In The Dirt" on it. Of course, it's not going to remain on my car, but it'll take a place on honor on the wall in the garage with all my other license plates & frames. :D

Short video of the Mach after having the carburetor rebuilt. Still need to tune it but it's 100% better than before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0LFzyA-tuA

Sorry about the night shooting, we literally just put the carb back on and I wanted to shoot a quick video.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the process of tuning the carburetor, never tuned one on a car before. I've done a bunch of quad/dirtbike carbs but this is a whole new animal.

I think it's idling a tad low here:

Just placed my order for a Deluxe Marti Report.

Just placed my order for a Deluxe Marti Report.
URtmU.jpg

So, figured I'd bump this thread with an update.

I bought a set of wheels and tires from a '95 GT to use until I can afford to put some new BFG Radials on my slotted magnums. Problem is, the rims are too wide to use on the front. Luckily, two of the tires I had on the car still hold air, so I put those on the front. Looks kinda funky, but it works for now.

Also finally got the driver door lined up correctly with the "new" hinges after taking the front fender off. It sure made the job a hell of a lot easier. We had it lined up within 5 minutes. Door shuts really nice now, especially since the hinges are still 40 years old. Can't wait to put some brand new ones on. Thinking about sanding and priming the fender while we have it off and then doing the same with the other fender.

Here are a few pictures.

SRcmB.jpg

h1nEg.jpg

FkNJN.jpg

Little by little. It's almost ready for some trips around the block.

you have a great starting point,while you are cleaning it up,dont forget to look down the cowl area for that ever lurking rust that likes to eat up our cars in that area. if you get reel ambitious, pull heater box out and check fresh air intake also.my car was a South Carolina so i have to deal with rust everywhere

I'm the newbie....lol....and I cannot find some information I desperately need, and am so happy to have found a group that has the car like mine!!

We bought a 73 Mach 1 the beginning of July. The guy we bought it from lost interest in it and left it to sit in a field over 5 years ago. When we got the car, it has the 351 Cleveland CJ 4bbl, C6 automatic.....(all engine/tranny parts left in a garage *and at least covered*).....the problem we have is we cannot find a wiring diagram for the car **with color codes**. The guy had taken all the wiring out when he went to restore it, and so we have to do it from scratch, but cannot find any wiring diagram for it. TY for any help!!

we got the one in the "data" tab, but we need a more simplified one in color....we have no power to the headlights :(

ok, I have to pick everybodys brains for a minute *please :D * we were told that the first 5 mustangs from 64-75 (?) were "Shelby" editions that were made different and came with a factory roll cage. Is this true or no??? If so, what are the ways of distinguishing it from the others? Thank you for input!!!

Back