1973 questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBBIES

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang
Ok everyone I am new to the forum I have been searching around for some answers on my recent purchase. I found a 73k mile numbers matching 73 Mach 1. It appears to be in very good shape minus the fact that the original owner started sanding the car down to fix some rust in the rear passenger quarter. I noticed a couple things that I am curious about immediately.

I have talked to original owner I am second owner and noticed that this car has adjustable mirrors for both driver and passenger mirror. I cant find any info surfing around on the internet about this option but was curious if anyone else has this?

He told me that the front spoiler on the car was installed from the dealership as was the rear spoiler and that it was not ordered from ford that way. the Marti report confirms it was not ordered with the spoiler. Would you guys leave it on the car or take it off for originality purposes.

The car has a tape deck that looks very original and has "ford" on it but Marti says it was ordered with AM/FM was the cassette tape deck an option yet? or was this possible added later?  

I'm sure I will have lots more questions as things unravel, theses thing have came up here as I am getting ready to send it to body shop.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

It sounds like you are tempted to remove the spoilers. The OR is correct in that the spoilers were not original. The dealer could have easily added them as they were available across the dealer's parts counter when your car was sold new.

It really depends on just how original you want your car to be. I have a 70k mile 72 convertible that I've owned for many years. Back in the late 70's I added ram air, front spoiler, rear cutout valence with the chrome tips. I also changed to the egg crate panel and related drop-down gas cap --- most of all this stuff I bought new from the dealer's parts counter.

But now I want to put things back the way the car was when it was new.

Decide your desires for the car and build it that way and ENJOY IT!!!

Ray

Ray,

That is correct this car has so much originality to it with interior being in very good shape, original motor paint is excellent it would not take much other than exterior paint and scrubbing to get the car into a very original "patina" form I guess best way to say it.

I always enjoy looking at the cars that have some age on them and are mostly un-restored, this car would be a good candidate.  I sort of am debating that if that spoiler is the way it left the lot for the first time I almost feel like it is original to the car.... might be a shame to take it off.

B

73 Mustang Models came with either an AM or AM/FM or AM/8 Track. There was no cassette radio option in 73. Your car mostly likely had the radio swapped from another Ford model or a later year Mustang.

About the only way your car would have came with remote on the passenger mirror was for it to be a Special Order car and would have a six digit DSO code not two digit. Your build sheet would state in the remarks section to add the remote mirror.

Ford would give you anything you wanted as long as it had no effect on the emissions or safety of the vehicle. There is a web site that lists a lot of the known Special Order Mustangs. I have one that was Special Order for three things but can only read one on the Build Sheet and Marti did not get those records either.

I would leave the spoilers was a popular add in the day if it did not come with one.

Thanks for all the info, I assumed the tape deck was probably a junk yard swap. I might leave it and keep rocking the Iron maiden, Dio, and Metalica tapes left in the glove box!

The mirror is interesting maybe the dealer added that on also with spoilers.

Anyone know what the website is with the special order options?
Here is a link to the site I know about. This is not a complete list only ones that have been reported to them. All of the Ford DSO records were destroyed as far as Marti or Ford knows. Maybe somewhere there is a roll of micro fish tape with the info but for now just reported as they show up.

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/special_order.cgi

I have tried to put my info up but keeps getting locked up, lol.

Rancheros and Torinos had passenger side remote mirrors that are easy enough to swap into Mustangs. The PO may have swapped one in.
Granadas & Monarchs did as well. Considered the swap myself. 

If the owner had the spoilers installed at the dealer at purchase, I'd leave them on. Almost "original", as it left the dealership that way. Even better if he has the paperwork to prove it.

Latest posts

Back