2 piece rotor vs. 1 piece rotor

sgtjd

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
I have a 1973 Mach 1 with stock discs in the front and drum in the rear. I’ll be replacing both with stock parts. I found plenty of rear drum kits that fit and that’s a done deal. The front discs are two piece and its hard finding those. I did find plenty of one piece rotors that fit. Is this the norm today? If I went with the one piece I assume I’ll have to replace the bearings. Is there anything else I need to look for?

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
sgtjd,

Yes, the standard disc brake rotor for the 1971-73 mustangs are on piece. I have looked high and low with no success. One has to go to the after market to get a kit. For example, Wildwood Brakes for 1973 Mustang with 15 in rims:

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitSearch.aspx?year=1973&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=Disc+Brake+Front+Spindle.&whl=15

At the bottom of the page is the Wildwood Forged Dynalite Pro Series Front Brake Kit- This offers the two piece rotor and hub assembly!

mustang7173

sgtjd

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
found some one piece rotors that will fit. Next up is finding bearings.

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
Last edited by a moderator:

sgtjd

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
I saw that at NPD but they only had one. I asked how long it would take they stated it could be over a month so I went with the one piece. Only thing is I had to replace all the inner and outer bearings and seals.