24F vs 27F battery tray revisited

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
I'll be replacing my battery this week. The battery size in there now is a group 24F. The battery tray I bought years ago is for a group 27F.

Are there any group 24F battery trays available, and if so, will they bolt in like a 27F tray?

I may just get the larger battery only because it will fit the tray neater.

The 24F doesn't really look right on the larger tray with it's hold downs.

I've searched for a 24F tray, but usually come up empty handed.

I went through the same thing with the same results back in 2011. I reached one of two conclusions. Either Ford went to a single sized tray to reduce inventory costs or, no company reproduces the 24F tray for 71-73 Mustangs. I could be completely wrong on both counts. Perhaps Don, Brian, or Steve will chime in with a definitive answer. Chuck

I do not know which one it is but Daniel Carpenter has original tooling for one of them I bought one and looks exactly like original. Look on ebay I bought off his reject store. He has tail light lens also. Defect on them is small amounts of glue on the lens that come off with your nail and are half price.

I will see if I run into it in the garage not sure where I put it.

I would guess that my 73 had the big battery has 70 amp alternator for sure I was cleaning it the other day. I had no rust in my battery tray or inner fender.

2 part numbers for battery trays are listed for our years, D0OZ-10732-A and D0OZ-10732-B. From what I can gather, the -A was for group 24F batteries and the -B is for group 27F batteries. As others have found, only the ones for group 27F batteries appear to be reproduced, and, as NPD says, group 24F batteries will fit, but not correct.

2 part numbers for battery trays are listed for our years, D0OZ-10732-A and D0OZ-10732-B. From what I can gather, the -A was for group 24F batteries and the -B is for group 27F batteries.  As others have found, only the ones for group 27F batteries appear to be reproduced, and, as NPD says, group 24F batteries will fit, but not correct.
If I recall correct on how Ford parts #s are the last letter is for the revision of the part. Maybe it went to the bigger and they stopped the old one since just an A & B. I think the base part # in the middle is same for all battery trays and the prefix tells what year and platform it is for originally. If you see a part number with like AA suffix that means they went through the alphabet and started over, lots of changes.

2 part numbers for battery trays are listed for our years, D0OZ-10732-A and D0OZ-10732-B. From what I can gather, the -A was for group 24F batteries and the -B is for group 27F batteries.  As others have found, only the ones for group 27F batteries appear to be reproduced, and, as NPD says, group 24F batteries will fit, but not correct.
If I recall correct on how Ford parts #s are the last letter is for the revision of the part. Maybe it went to the bigger and they stopped the old one since just an A & B. I think the base part # in the middle is same for all battery trays and the prefix tells what year and platform it is for originally. If you see a part number with like AA suffix that means they went through the alphabet and started over, lots of changes.
Thanks for all the input on such a minor thing. I'm just going to go with the 27F battery. The 24F is less $$$, it fits, but it looks sloppy on the larger tray. Thanks again...…... :thankyouyellow:

The HD battery (27-F) was standard on the Boss and 429 cars and was optional or included with certain options on all other models. There were two Torino sourced battery trays used on the Mustang. DOOZ-10732-A for the standard battery (24F) and DOOZ-10732-B for the HD battery (27F).

The DOOZ-A tray for the 24 series battery was discontinued by Ford and replaced by the DOOZ-B tray in 1979. Guess the repo people are taking the one size fits all approach and only offering the larger B tray. With two years fitment on the 70-71 Torino and Mercury Montego/Cyclone and three with the Mustang/Cougar I'm surprised they didn't go ahead and offer a repo version of both trays. Then again they don't fit 65-70 Mustangs!!

I have a NOS "A" tray and was going to measure it, but I'm starting to get like David. I put it up so to as to find with ease later and have no idea what planet it is on now!

The best I can do at this point is to give you the battery dimensions from my Motorcraft data and you can figure the tray will be marginally larger.

The dimensions for the 24 series battery (W) 6 13/16"    (L) 10 3/4"     (H) 8 61/64"    

The dimensions for the 27 series battery (W) 6 13/16"    (L) 12 1/2"     (H) 9 9/64"

The HD battery (27-F) was standard on the Boss and 429 cars and was optional or included with certain options on all other models. There were two Torino sourced battery trays used on the Mustang. DOOZ-10732-A for the standard battery (24F) and DOOZ-10732-B for the HD battery (27F).

The DOOZ-A tray for the 24 series battery was discontinued by Ford and replaced by the DOOZ-B tray in 1979. Guess the repo people are taking the one size fits all approach and only offering the larger B tray. With two years fitment on the 70-71 Torino and Mercury Montego/Cyclone and three with the Mustang/Cougar I'm surprised they didn't go ahead and offer a repo version of both trays. Then again they don't fit 65-70 Mustangs!!

I have a NOS "A" tray and was going to measure it, but I'm starting to get like David. I put it up so to as to find with ease later and have no idea what planet it is on now!

The best I can do at this point is to give you the battery dimensions from my Motorcraft data and you can figure the tray will be marginally larger.

The dimensions for the 24 series battery (W) 6 13/16"    (L) 10 3/4"     (H) 8 61/64"    

The dimensions for the 27 series battery (W) 6 13/16"    (L) 12 1/2"     (H) 9 9/64"
Thank you for the reply. I will just go with the 27F...……

Back