3 converts in MO

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul of MO

Reaction score
My Car
71 M Code Convert - Barn find
73 H Code Convert - Field find
73 H code - Latest Project
Hello,

Had a 73 soft top in school and my wife and I drove it till it literally crumbled.

Now many years later my 14 year old son finds a solid 73 convert shell and 19 tubs of its parts on craigslist. Wife says OK so it comes home. Then my son finds a 71 M code convert that had been in a barn for 25 years with a 73 convert that had sat outside for 15 years. Wife not asked and they come home. Went from 0 to 3 in 10 days.

The restorable 73 is an H code with PW's, tach, 3 guage, and factory alum wheels. Very solid car. Seems like all the parts are in the tubs.

The 71 M code needs rails, boxes, quarters, floors ect.... When we got it un buried it turned out to be a complete functional ram air car, nasa hood with twist locks, tach and guages, staggered rear shocks, locker rear, and a D1 numbered FOMOCO chin spoiler. Painted late 70's purple.

The 73 that sat outside for 15 years looks like it sat outside for 15 years. Oddly enough we put the charger on it and everything came to life and the top even went up and down. The clock even worked.

Taking inverntory of parts right now - cant decide if we should do the 73 or spend the greater money and time needed to do the 71.

Thanks and I hope everyone is staying cool.

Paul

Welcome to the site, sounds like a huge win! If nothing else, you have a ready source of parts. The '71 sounds like a huge project, maybe do the convert first while you collect the necessary stuff to restore the M-code?

Welcome Paul.

What a great story and great finds. Does the wife know now - how does she feel?

Pictures must be added. Don will be along shortly who has gone from 0 to 6 Mach 1's in about 3 months or so and he will need to see some pictures. He has also been bitten badly with the bug for a convert.

Great to have you here with us.

Welcome to the site! It's great you found a 73 convert after owning one before. Try to save them all and keep us posted!

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard!

::welcome::

I can so relate to your story! Got my first Mach 1 in Feb, then a few weeks later got 2 more, then a few weeks ago got 3 more on the same day bringing the total to 6. Then I found a 64 Falcon Futura convertible that I've committed to get a couple of weeks ago. I really wanted a 71-73 vert but I still have plenty of time to snag one.

Anyway welcome! This site is fantastic, I. Hope to see some pics soon!

Hi Paul yes welcome

I only have one convertible a 72

they are rare as hens teeth here in OZ

as I say that there are two on E Bay OZ

as we speak for $30k

again welcome and good luck with the projects

John

Hi Paul yes welcome

I only have one convertible a 72

they are rare as hens teeth here in OZ

as I say that there are two on E Bay OZ

as we speak for $30k

again welcome and good luck with the projects

John
My father always talked about how rare hens teeth are, even here in the US, so $30K may not be a bad price! :D

Thanks for all of the kind words. My wife found out about the other cars when I showed up with the last one. Her only concern was that I was not done and was heading out to get more. (sadly no...)

My son and I worked all day on the 4th and got most of the dash detailed and the heat and AC ducting put back in. The only thing that I was missing is the brake warning light bezel - the light/harness was in a tote with the original Ford blinking lightbulb in it but no bezel. The 71 says belts not brakes that same location. Hmmm....

It is so nice to have a 73 parts car parked right next to me in the shop. I have never had that luxury with the other cars I have done. I got a full set of shop and assembly manuals with the 71 so that helped as well.

When we finished we had everything working except the passenger front parking light and turn signal.

Pictures to come.

Paul of MO

Augusta MO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back