3" mandrel bent exhaust

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flstf09

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 429 CJ
Does anybody know of a source for a mandrel bent 3" exhaust kit for a 72 Mach 1?

I looked and could never find one. I've seen nothing larger than 2 1/2 that actually goes over the rear axle. I ended up Using 3" pipe and turn downs at the rear axle.

Crush bent 3" from a local muffler shop will flow fine for a ton of horsepower. It doesn't look as clean, but until you get over about 600 horsepower, it will easily flow more than you need.

The alternative is to weld one up or have one welded up from a builders kit. It is a LOT of welding.

under car photo.jpg

If this is what you are calling mandrel bent, I am always confused about that term,

I got mine from Don of OMS.

Sounds awesome!

P4070302.JPG

mike

ps. This is 2 1/2 inch but was custom made by someone Don knows.

Don't why they could not do 3 inch.

That is crush bent. The supposed problem with 3" is that the clearance over the axle around the shocks, rear sway bar, brake lines and out the back, when you allow for suspension travel becomes pretty tight. I'm sure it can be done, but no one sells a prebent tailpipe that I could find in that size

Mandrel bent does not have the indentations on the inside of the bends.

I believe the problem with a 3" exhaust will be from the axle back, very limited room between the left staggered shock and the gas tank and between the springs and the gas tank. You may have to have a custom tank (or fuel cell) built for it.

You might consider a universal do-it-yourself mandrel bent kit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-815937/overview/

Last edited by a moderator:
If yer driving 600+HP on the street without antilock brakes or traction control would a couple crush bent turns on a 3" pipe be slowing you down? Either way a custom shop should be able to put a nice SS system under your car with nice welds instead of connectors or clamps. If your running on a track just poke the pipes out in front of the rear tires and avoid all those axel bends completely.

Can't poke them out the side.I have subframe connectors.There isn't a custom shop in kc that has a mandrel bender.I think I'm going to just dump them in front of the rear axle that takes alot of bends out of the equation.

I've made a few systems using generic mandrel bends. It was easier than I expected. For Camaros I've been able to purchase three inch tails pipes and build the rest of the system from pieces. My '72 Vette was hardest with about 30 individual piece because it had to clear the spare tire carrier.

DSCN6009.jpg

IMGP8126.jpg

Anti lock brakes and traction control?I would have bought a new car if I wanted that crap.My anti lock and traction control is my right foot.

Check with state laws, because if you have emissions laws in your state, dumps in front of the rear axle will most likely not fly for state inspections. Emissions or not, I think there's a thing about exhaust fumes cavitating under the car and being sucked into the cab - which is why they must exit, typically out the rear, but out the side is allowable as well.

All Missouri law says is they have to be behind passenger compartment.

I will also caution on the dumping of the exhaust in front of the rear axel as well. I just put a new system in to eliminate this set up from my car as the fumes in the car were pretty bad even with the window down!!

Back