302 Alumimun Cylinder heads w/Air Gap Intake

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

After installing my new FiTech EFI 400, the system was going up and down constantly. According to FiTech support, there is a vacuum leak some where. Plugged all ports, and still have the fluctuations.

Tri-State Aluminum cylinder heads with Air Gap intake-

Yanked the Air Gap intake and see that the builder used the Fe-Pro 1250 intake Gaskets with RTV on the front and back. I have read that the Fel-Pro 1250's have the good, the bad, and ugly side of things.

The forum members out there with 302's, what intake gaskets have you used?

Forum members out there, what is your suggestions? 

Thanks,

mustang7173

I've been using FelPro gaskets for over 50 years with no issues.. Follow the included instructions and torque the bolts correctly. There are some model FelPro gaskets that require re-torquing of the bolts directly after warm-up, so don't wait too long to finish the job.. We always did the re-torque before the car left the shop to avoid a comeback..

All,

Good to hear. I now believe my issues arrived after not re-torquing the intake after starting the engine. After bringing home the rebuilt engine, installing and breaking it in, I never re-torqued the intake manifold. This one is on me!!. I will re-torque this install after warm up!!!! Thanks for the responses.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
c9zx,

Whoooooo! Ouch! - What did you go back with? I went with the ARP intake stud kit to help keep the alignment of the gasket.

mustang7173

Yeah, I've used Fel-Pro several times, but after Chuck originally posted that a couple of weeks ago, I'm thinking Mr Gasket next time, which I've also used with no problems.

c9zx,

Whoooooo! Ouch! - What did you go back with? I went with the ARP intake stud kit to help keep the alignment of the gasket.

mustang7173
Fel-Pro MS 90150. They are OEM style and even have the Ford logo and part number on them. The engine is not back together yet as I'm still waiting on the custom MLS head gaskets, custom Smith Brothers pushrods, and semi-custom pistons and rings. I hope I can get it back together in the next 3 weeks as the car is supposed to be inTulsa, OK. for a national Cougar event the middle of April.

All,

I wanted to clean up my Air Gap intake manifold and per several forum instances, used the Eagle One Etching Mag Wheel Cleaner.

https://www.eagleone.com/etching-mag-wheel-cleaner

As you can see, it came out very nice. Is states just to leave it on for 30 seconds. Now to install the manifold along with the Mr. Gasket manifold gaskets and ARP stud kit.

mustang7173

Hello EBSTANG,

Nice! I was referencing that I could not find a stud kit, like the 302 V8 style.

Thanks,

mustang7173

c9zx,

Wow, I could not find any intake manifold stud kit for the 351C engines.

mustang7173
ARP-454-2006

Intake Bolt Kit, Ford 351C w/Edelbrock RPM air gap hex intake manifold bolt kit

(Mfr. #: 454-2006) 
$54.93 just ordered at Summit

Back