390 "S" code stock push rod length

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, moparbrian,
Do you know what year your 390 engine is? The "S" 390 GT engines were production installed in Fairlane/Torino from '66-69 and '67-69 in Mustangs and sister Mercury vehicles. Change levels identified production changes in the engines. These engines have metal tags with all the engine info, including the build level. I have found them mounted under the left front intake bolt and under the coil bracket on many of the different 390s I've owned. Of course, many of the tags suffered the same fate as the carburetor, distributor, and differential tags that everyone felt weren't necessary.

There was a push rod change made in '68 on these engines. If your engine was built before Level 10, it uses push rod C4TZ-6565-B, which measures 9.62". If manufactured from Level 10, that engine would use C8AZ-6565-A, which measures 9.59".
The illustration below is the style tag used on these engines. Hopefully, it's still on your 390 engine!
1697004396768.png

Hey, moparbrian,
Do you know what year your 390 engine is? The "S" 390 GT engines were production installed in Fairlane/Torino from '66-69 and '67-69 in Mustangs and sister Mercury vehicles. Change levels identified production changes in the engines. These engines have metal tags with all the engine info, including the build level. I have found them mounted under the left front intake bolt and under the coil bracket on many of the different 390s I've owned. Of course, many of the tags suffered the same fate as the carburetor, distributor, and differential tags that everyone felt weren't necessary.

There was a push rod change made in '68 on these engines. If your engine was built before Level 10, it uses push rod C4TZ-6565-B, which measures 9.62". If manufactured from Level 10, that engine would use C8AZ-6565-A, which measures 9.59".
The illustration below is the style tag used on these engines. Hopefully, it's still on your 390 engine!
View attachment 82247
Thank you for the reply. Yes, the date is 1967

Back