4 Wheel disc brakes standard vs power

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 MACH1 m code
:D

Hello all,

have 4 wheel discs for my 71 Mach. Used to be power disc and drum.

My question given how much better brakes these 4 piston 12 inch wilwoods will be, what about will I need power brakes or will standard be okay?

Anyone using 4 wheel standard discs?

Thanks guys

don't waste your time with wilwood. they sound attractive but its going to be harder to find parts for.

do the 94-04 cobra brakes conversion because you could buy all the parts from a parts store.

there are two suppliers for our cars.

www.streetortrack.com

www.vintagevenom.com

check em out.

i have all of the cobra brakes and i stop my car on a dime especially on a 1/4 track.

don't waste your time with wilwood. they sound attractive but its going to be harder to find parts for.

do the 94-04 cobra brakes conversion because you could buy all the parts from a parts store.

www.streetortrack.com

www.vintagevenom.com

check em out.

i have all of the cobra brakes and i stop my car on a dime especially on a 1/4 track.
Sorry already have wilwoods, yes pads are $90 and calipers are $125 but it is what I have.

Just trying to see what people think of power vs standard.

Thanks for your response though.

www.streetortrack.com

www.vintagevenom.com

check em out.

Sorry already have wilwoods, yes pads are $90 and calipers are $125 but it is what I have.

if your going to be a exclusive street driver then power is what you want and most likely you'll have the vacuum for it so go power. guys that go manual just use it cuz thats how thier car came from the factory. however, if you want to go hydraulic clutch then thats also the way to go. i want to get american powertrain's hydromax kit but i'm so afraid it'll not fit with the booster. i have staired at that spot for hours with the motor removed just to see it'll even work with it there.

definitely go with all 4 disc brakes. ditch the old crappy combination valve. on the front brakes just use a TEE fitting and put a adjusting prop valve on the rear brakes.

I have 4 wheel disc brakes on my 71 and they are non-power. They definately stop much better than the all 4 drums did. But if you have to stop in a hurry you better have some leg power! They are hard to push but i have gotten used to them. I am planning on swapping to the power disc brakes this winter. I have the underdash bracket, pedal, boost and MC off of the parts car that i got the spindles of off. I am using a ford 8.8 rearend out of a sport trac explorer. It came with factory disc brakes, posi, and 3.73 gears. And is very close in width to our original rears. Wasnt a bad swap at all and parts are very cheap and easy to get for that rear.

Kevin

I have 4 wheel disc brakes on my 71 and they are non-power. They definately stop much better than the all 4 drums did. But if you have to stop in a hurry you better have some leg power! They are hard to push but i have gotten used to them. I am planning on swapping to the power disc brakes this winter. I have the underdash bracket, pedal, boost and MC off of the parts car that i got the spindles of off. I am using a ford 8.8 rearend out of a sport trac explorer. It came with factory disc brakes, posi, and 3.73 gears. And is very close in width to our original rears. Wasnt a bad swap at all and parts are very cheap and easy to get for that rear.

Kevin
See now I have 4 wheel disc non power and with the properly sized mc have no issues with the pedal being hard to push. It will even lock the wheels up if needed. So the key is to match everything. Wilwood has a decent tech line as long as the problems are not to difficult.

www.streetortrack.com

www.vintagevenom.com

check em out.

if your going to be a exclusive street driver then power is what you want and most likely you'll have the vacuum for it so go power. guys that go manual just use it cuz thats how thier car came from the factory. however, if you want to go hydraulic clutch then thats also the way to go. i want to get american powertrain's hydromax kit but i'm so afraid it'll not fit with the booster. i have staired at that spot for hours with the motor removed just to see it'll even work with it there.

definitely go with all 4 disc brakes. ditch the old crappy combination valve. on the front brakes just use a TEE fitting and put a adjusting prop valve on the rear brakes.
Isn't it terrible how we drive ourselves crazy trying to figure things out. We won't be at this stage for installation for many months yet (just got it back from stripping and it is at body now, then to paint) I appreciate the time you've taken in responding. Driving a 521 6 speed should be a handful. My street will be automatic with ratchet shifter.

Kevin
Kevin,

sounds like the explorer rear is a good way to go. Thanks for giving your insight.

Jenny

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin
See now I have 4 wheel disc non power and with the properly sized mc have no issues with the pedal being hard to push. It will even lock the wheels up if needed. So the key is to match everything. Wilwood has a decent tech line as long as the problems are not to difficult.
Roy, im still running the stock Mc from the drum brakes. i just havent switched it yet because I was waiting till winter to just put on the power setup i have laying in the garage. If i didnt have the power set up i would definately be looking for another mc or something cause my pedal is tough!! LOL.

Kevin

Roy, im still running the stock Mc from the drum brakes. i just havent switched it yet because I was waiting till winter to just put on the power setup i have laying in the garage. If i didnt have the power set up i would definately be looking for another mc or something cause my pedal is tough!! LOL.
LOl i hear ya, o'well builds one strong leg anyways

xoliex, did the same setup as me ..street or track 04 Cobra conversation..Manual..I supplied him all the part numbers sources to buy everything much cheaper..calipers..bearings..pads rotors etc..all you need from sot is the conversion kit...

xoliex, did the same setup as me ..street or track 04 Cobra conversation..Manual..I supplied him all the part numbers sources to buy everything much cheaper..calipers..bearings..pads rotors etc..all you need from sot is the conversion kit...
yup, ebay rotors and pads, rock auto for the calipers and brackets. the only difference between qcode and me was i needed the OEM disc brake conversion kit while he did the OEM drum conversion kit. the oem disc kit comes with a modified and redrilled/tapped caliper bracket while the oem drum uses the cobra bracket as is from the factory.

yup, ebay rotors and pads, rock auto for the calipers and brackets. the only difference between qcode and me was i needed the OEM disc brake conversion kit while he did the OEM drum conversion kit. the oem disc kit comes with a modified and redrilled/tapped caliper bracket while the oem drum uses the cobra bracket as is from the factory.
on BTW, i'm trying to find some really lower profile brake hose and banjo bolt. those are the only parts that is keeping me to put a deeper BS 15 wheel in there. i'd like to put a 15x12 or 15x11 in the wheel in there for y slicks so i can put a 29.5x11.5 slick in there. that or find a 15 that has hardly any lip.

Last edited:
I am running a set of Baer Ironsport rear disc brakes (single piston 11.66 diameter slotted and drilled rotor) and up front factory calipers with EBC Ceramic pads and aftermarket slotted and drilled rotors (11.33 I think). I have a vacuum booster, a new master cylinder http://www.streetortrack.com/Master-Cylinder-for-4-wheel-disc-1964-73-Mustangs-pr-23771.html , and a proportioning valve. I am very happy with the firm pedal feel and the very strong braking.

:)

thanks for all your help. I plan to check with engine builder to confirm should have enough vacuum. Then if so will go with power discs. I will street drive this car but only a limited amount. It won't see the strip. Shows and some casual driving in its future.

In body work for next few months, then onto paint. We will take over after these steps are done.

We have a 70 rear setup being done(narrower), narrowed springs, moser axles total performance frame connectors and torque arm. Will rebuild all steering and suspension. 17x9.5 AR polished torqs out back 17x8 front, Nitto 50 series tires for stick and tall so I don't drag underside. March serpentine with sanden and classic auto air. Dakota Digital dash. Haven't picked audio yet.

I had hoped to have it running by next august, and it may be but it will be far from done. I retire in just less than 2 years and need it done well before that.

again thanks to all

Jenny and Roshelle

:)

thanks for all your help. I plan to check with engine builder to confirm should have enough vacuum. Then if so will go with power discs. I will street drive this car but only a limited amount. It won't see the strip. Shows and some casual driving in its future.

In body work for next few months, then onto paint. We will take over after these steps are done.

We have a 70 rear setup being done(narrower), narrowed springs, moser axles total performance frame connectors and torque arm. Will rebuild all steering and suspension. 17x9.5 AR polished torqs out back 17x8 front, Nitto 50 series tires for stick and tall so I don't drag underside. March serpentine with sanden and classic auto air. Dakota Digital dash. Haven't picked audio yet.

I had hoped to have it running by next august, and it may be but it will be far from done. I retire in just less than 2 years and need it done well before that.

again thanks to all

Jenny and Roshelle
i can almost bank on you having enough vacuum. i ran a 242 242 cam on my 460 before and still had enough vacuum. my last came was a 230 and 236 and it has enough vacuum as well. now my 521 had 252 and 260 duration and it had only 7 lbs of vacuum and i would have vacuum when i initially started breaking but when the car went to idle i went back down to 7 lbs and it kind of felt manual. to fix that all i have to do is buy a vacuum reservior which is like 20 dollars.

lotsa of guys run huge cams and just run a reservior and they are fine. its the guys who have gobs of duration that need vacuum pumps.

i'm pretty sure you are set for power brakes given the fact that it won't see any track time and having that in mind that you built a lower rpm reving motor.

Back