429cj start up and break in, finally...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disregard the poor editorial... I will let the engine do the real talking. She has come a long way... I will bring her home tomorrow to start the return to the engine bay, good day today...

https://youtu.be/N9DR87eDch4
Surprised they didn't hold the rpms high and steady for the break in. I read on these forums to fire my Cleveland up, go to 3000 RPM and stay there for 30 minutes to properly break in the cam. I know you have the 429, but what did you do for the cam? Did you go with a flat tappet or a roller setup?

kcmash

sounds awesome!

Engine looks great too!  

Can you remind us if you deviated from stock on the build?
Standard bore & stroke.

Last edited:
Don't forget to set your timing curve for the optimum performance.

Happy Holidays!

Don't forget to set your timing curve for the optimum performance.

Happy Holidays!
Will do..., probably wont be until the Spring though... Drivetrain gets reinstalled back into the car tomorrow. Just finished bolting up the torque convertor and transmission. Happy Holidays to you as well.

Wasn't easy... but the big motor and transmission are back in their original home... I would not suggest this as a one person job, it has been 23 years since I last did this on my own, its all about the right tools, safety, planning and taking your time. Now the real re-assembly of the car can take place. A good day...

Looks great Ken! You'll be done in no time!
Still lots to do. The mechanical aspect is the relatively easy part. The interior, glass and top will be both a challenge( restoring parts) and a PIA. Getting it running is my goal so I can move easily. One step at a time.

Latest posts

Back