71 429 cj vert engine tear down...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the cam is an original non cobra jet cam.

the timing chain was probably going to break the teeth off soon anyway.

Is the oil pickup press-in or bolt-on?
Pretty sure this has been swapped out, as I recall, the cj had a bolt on pickup.

Last edited:
barnett468 is correct on the "BB" cam. That is the stock 429/460 camshaft (C8SZ-6250-A). The 429 CJ/Police Interceptor I built for my Gran Torino had the bolt on pickup tube and screen. The "N" code 429 Thunder Jet I pulled from the same car had the press in tube.

Pastel, as "Cobbled" as the previous rebuild was, and for the engine to still be running, just goes to show you how insanely tough these Beast's are! I know you hate to see all the bad repairs exposed as your $$ continue to fly out of your pocket. As one who has followed your build from your first posting, I cringe a little as the rest of us do, at each half a$$ repair that is uncovered.

I know the completion is still way down the road, but the end result of having a very rare J code vert that will have a sound none of the new cars can match, hopefully keeps you going!

barnett468 is correct on the "BB" cam. That is the stock 429/460 camshaft (C8SZ-6250-A). The 429 CJ/Police Interceptor I built for my Gran Torino had the bolt on pickup tube and screen. The "N" code 429 Thunder Jet I pulled from the same car had the press in tube.

Pastel, as "Cobbled" as the previous rebuild was, and for the engine to still be running, just goes to show you how insanely tough these Beast's are! I know you hate to see all the bad repairs exposed as your $$ continue to fly out of your pocket. As one who has followed your build from your first posting, I cringe a little as the rest of us do, at each half a$$ repair that is uncovered.

I know the completion is still way down the road, but the end result of having a very rare J code vert that will have a sound none of the new cars can match, hopefully keeps you going!

Last edited:
have the guy install the top LOOSE and inspect it before he gets it all on . every top guy makes them way too tight s you can barely latch them . then they tell you that the material will stretch and be fine which it will not . three of the best top mfgs are easy on, acme, and robbins . get the double texture type.

the site below has some orig ac parts also . i just got some for my 428 cobra jet.

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/

mansfield mustang has many nos parts including ac parts.

http://www.mansfieldmustang.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I would throw this up, not particularly interesting or overly important in itself. However, this is one of the times you are happy that 20+ years ago you purchased that $25 swap meet water pump and stuck it away on a shelf...

Last edited:
I just got caught up on your engine thread this morning with coffee. I can confirm that the SD-429 from Ford Trucks has the same rods, numbers same, and bolts as the 72 429-PI, football. I was given one of the Super Duty engines out of a Budweiser beer deliver truck. It had blown a head gasket and they never fooled around with trying to rebuild an engine they just put a new one in. The crank in the SD is also Forged Steel instead of Cast. It might have a different balance than the PI, CJ and SCJ I am not up on that, internal verses external. The snout of the crank is much larger on the SD than the PI for sure. I don't know if it could be turned down and put into a PI, CJ or SCJ to get a better crank or not.

It looks like you for sure had a botched up rebuild by PO.

There was lots of 429 parts at the Charlotte swap meet this spring should not be difficult to find your needed parts.

Hope you can get a piston mfg. to make a custom set to just allow hone of the block and not a bore. In the shop I was in we had our own piston grinder so we could make any size we wanted. It was old but still worked.

you need a new timing cover.

it was likely out of balance due to the different rods.
Yes, agreed, new cover necessary. Good thought on the different rods causing the extensive overall engine wear.
I disagree on the needing a new timing cover. Where the hole is there is just a void behind it so no water will go in the block. Also if your water pump has a back plate water wont be in that part of the timing cover to begin with.

you need a new timing cover.
Yes, agreed, new cover necessary. Good thought on the different rods causing the extensive overall engine wear.
I disagree on the needing a new timing cover. Where the hole is there is just a void behind it so no water will go in the block. Also if your water pump has a back plate water won't be in that part of the timing cover to begin with.
He needs a new timing cover . That damage is from corrosion from water that came from somewhere . Rebuilding an engine is an expensive process and takes a lot of time, and to cheap out and not spend $41.00 to $78.00 for a new one when the current one has a hole the size of the grand canyon is not prudent . This is also for a car that might be worth around $80,000.00 fully restored so I see no point in trying to cut corners just to save a couple dollars on a critical part.

NEW TIMING COVER

$41.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-429-7-0L-460-7-5L-TIMING-COVER-KIT-69-97-/170501161887?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

$78.00

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/50301/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710565196&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15769068431&CATCI=aud-194567929031:pla-207804007511&gclid=CK3TzZmj_c0CFQNufgodeV4DGA

Back