71 429 cj vert engine tear down...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two crank journals chewed up beyond reasonable service limits...
Easy deal...weld the crank journals, they do it to hundreds of cranks a day in the US.

Found a used rag in the bottom of the pan at some point in the past, nice...
That is to prevent the pan gasket from leaking . It is supposed to soak up the oil before it can leak past the gasket.

If I ever get to build a new engine, I want to have the new piston's tops ceramic coated. This would -

REASON # 1 – Overall Thermal Barrier protection

REASON # 2 – Reduction in overall operating temperatures

REASON # 3 – Increases component life by reducing friction and heat

REASON # 4 – Perfect for High horsepower applications such as turbo’s & superchargers

REASON # 5 – Protection against galling and other damage on metal to metal contact

REASON # 6 – Increases in performance

REASON # 7 – Protection from stressful environments such as racing

REASON # 8 – Protects Piston rings from Radial tension Loss

REASON # 9 – Protection against hot spots by increasing flame propagation

REASON # 10 – Helps to scavenge heat from the motor more quickly

mustang7173

If I ever get to build a new engine, I want to have the new piston's tops ceramic coated. This would -

REASON # 1 – Overall Thermal Barrier protection

REASON # 2 – Reduction in overall operating temperatures

REASON # 3 – Increases component life by reducing friction and heat

REASON # 4 – Perfect for High horsepower applications such as turbo’s & superchargers

REASON # 5 – Protection against galling and other damage on metal to metal contact

REASON # 6 – Increases in performance

REASON # 7 – Protection from stressful environments such as racing

REASON # 8 – Protects Piston rings from Radial tension Loss

REASON # 9 – Protection against hot spots by increasing flame propagation

REASON # 10 – Helps to scavenge heat from the motor more quickly

mustang7173
Lots of

Last edited:
Nice progress.

I agree on sleeving all 8 cylinders given your goals and desire to save the block.

I think I would replace the repaired head though. If they had to use waterglass to seal the head, this repair can later fail. I would not want to wonder if maybe it was leaking 2 ore 3 years down the road and have to go back and tear into it.

Just my opinion, but please at least research and discuss it further.

Nice progress.

I agree on sleeving all 8 cylinders given your goals and desire to save the block.

I think I would replace the repaired head though. If they had to use waterglass to seal the head, this repair can later fail. I would not want to wonder if maybe it was leaking 2 ore 3 years down the road and have to go back and tear into it.

Just my opinion, but please at least research and discuss it further.

Last edited:
Great thoughts on the direction you are going here. I am not an engine expert, but from what I do know I agree that you were on the mark sleeving it. Keep the original block and don't worry about cooking it. Does ever get that hot north of the border though?? Just kidding. Thanx for the updates as you progress and great pictures to follow along.

Back