'71 429cj convertible restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-Really appreciate the updates.

This is going to be a very very nice car!

As far as money - I remember passing on a 1969 GT-350 for $4,500, a 1966 GT-350 Shelby plus 66 Hertz projects - both for $2,000, and a one-owner 1970 GT-500 for $12,000. All of these were MANY years ago but I would have loved to own all three! BTW all of these cars (except for the HERTZ CAR) have all been restored to ultra high quality show cars!

Ray

-Really appreciate the updates.

This is going to be a very very nice car!

As far as money - I remember passing on a 1969 GT-350 for $4,500, a 1966 GT-350 Shelby plus 66 Hertz projects - both for $2,000, and a one-owner 1970 GT-500 for $12,000. All of these were MANY years ago but I would have loved to own all three! BTW all of these cars (except for the HERTZ CAR) have all been restored to ultra high quality show cars!

Ray

Ray

Ray
Me too! I passed on:

Boss 351 - Trade for my mach in High school 1983, Boss 351 for $2K in 1981, 67 Shelby GT350 for $3500 in 1984, 70 428/4spd shaker Mach(restored) for $4000 in 1985, 69 GT500 Fastback for $10K in 1991, Restored Boss 351 for $10k in 1991, 69 GT 350 for $35K in 1999, 71 429 Fastback(disassembled) for $5k in 2002, Boss 351 (unrestored) for $8K in 1998, 70 428/4speed Mach(in Yellow!) for $6K in 2001.

None of the deals were ever quite in my financial comfort zone. But I'm still on my first Mach, My first Wife, and have a great family life! That's worth more than any car!!

Finally, some paint... you don't see guys lining up to apply this colour, it will certainly hold its own among the masses... Thoughts (positive, I hope :feedback: Cheers.
Just a tad bit more overs pray than Ford got on the inside but it ain't going to rust now.

[/quote

Last edited:
Looking Great ! Not sure but I thought it was you who was looking for a way to preserve keep your suspensiodn parts looking like new..This is what I use

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/rpm.php

Works really well
I used this stuff on a lot on my build too. I had mixed results and I think it came down to polishing the parts after. It says you can take a microfiber cloth and wipe off (polish) excess which I did on some parts and had a few that seem to develop surface rust. I didnt do this to too many parts so when my car gets back from paint and I do final clean up I will get a better idea on this. Maybe just don't polish excess.

Looking Great ! Not sure but I thought it was you who was looking for a way to preserve keep your suspension parts looking like new..This is what I use

http://www.ecsautomotive.com/rpm.php

Works really well
The RPM does look much better than some of the colored paints they offer, natural. When I bought a 1984 20th. Anniversary Mustang I brought it home put up on jack stands and cleaned the underside with prep solvent. I went over every seam and fixed all the places where Ford left holes. Mask off the body and I then sprayed with DuPont Imron, remember this was 1984, suspension, floor everything underneath. To this day the car has no rust anywhere except where worn off. It was a daily driver and went through the salt on the roads and did not have a garage most of it's life and has over 200,000 on it. It did not hide the paint markings. I pulled all the stickers off and put on wax paper and put in a file. My son has the car now and might restore, 4 kids takes a lot of money, lol.

David

Back